PDA

View Full Version : glass railings transparent in elevations?

Justin Marchiel
2007-06-01, 07:06 PM
How can i make a material transparent? I know that i can make an entire category transparent (in visibility and graphics) but i only want a specific material or component transparent in hidden view.

I have thougth about overlaying drawings, and other ideas, but i hope there is an easier way of doing it.

Thanks

Justin

twiceroadsfool
2007-06-01, 08:12 PM
When we want to see Curtain walls and storefront as transparent, we use a 3D View, then use the F8 > Orient to View, and select the elevation... It slows down performance and plotting a bit though.

petervanko
2007-06-01, 08:13 PM
Well, isn't this going against Revit's greatest strength: the ability to control building elements from one place, and do it consistently? Are you asking for VG-like control over materials??? I personally love being able to control a material from that nice, simple dialogue box (and it changing everywhere), and would hate the scenario previously described. The present control over materials is fantastic.

Back to a potential solution: I have done a few comps where I wanted to make a portion of the building transparent, and it required a separate Revit file with new material application.

Wish list item (?): back in the days of ADT (that I am trying desperately to forget) you were able to do a live section that made the sectioned-off portions transparent...kind of nice.

petervanko
2007-06-01, 08:15 PM
Sorry, sounds like Aaron understood you problem better than I. Great solution!

twiceroadsfool
2007-06-01, 08:30 PM
Sorry, sounds like Aaron understood you problem better than I. Great solution!

Oldie but a goodie that i saw at AU06. :)

Justin Marchiel
2007-06-01, 10:03 PM
that was the method that i was thinking about, but i was hoping there was a non 3d wall of doing it.

Thanks for the help. it just reasures my thinking.

Justin

Calvn_Swing
2007-06-01, 10:32 PM
If you're in 2008 you have a few options.

Option 1: Select the objects, right click, edit the element's VG settings, set to transparent.

Option 2: Select the object, type something appropriate into the comments field, create a new filter and set it to look for that same text string, and set the filter to make things transparent.

I much prefer the latter if you want to do this in multiple views. It is easier to manage, and shows up in the VG settings. If you do the element level overrides it is a pain to manage.

Good luck!

Max Lloyd
2007-06-01, 11:27 PM
I think the easiest solution is to simply edit your curtain wall panel, select the glass panel and set it not to be visible in elevation view....

Justin Marchiel
2007-06-01, 11:45 PM
i like the options that have been presentent (should have looked closer at some of hte new options....great stuff there), but the problem now arises that the edges of the elements disappears.

the 3d view still seems like the option to use, but thanks for bringing up the other features.

Justin

SkiSouth
2007-06-02, 12:14 AM
How can i make a material transparent? I know that i can make an entire category transparent (in visibility and graphics) but i only want a specific material or component transparent in hidden view.

JustinI think what you want is the furnished _void-clear in the Accurender 2 library with Revit. Select the material you want to "disappear" and redefine it as "ar2_accurend\_void-clear". Should "vanish" nicely. Here I replaced the metal panel material definition with the void material - the wall disappeared and exposed the girts. I don't think that the material will allow a "layer" of the wall only to disappear. I think the entire wall will go away. The girts in this example are wall sweeps.

Another good use for this void material is a base for holding decals. Make a rectangular extrusion, assign the void-clear material to it, and then apply a decal of a tree to the rectangle. Instant "tree".

Max Lloyd
2007-06-02, 10:13 AM
but the problem now arises that the edges of the elements disappears.
Justinif you use the technique I suggested but are finding the edges dissapear, perhaps just add some linework that lock to the edges within the family?

I haven't tried this myself, but it should work fine?

(although Ski's suggestion also looks like a winner! Always more than one way to skin a cat...)

Regads,

Max