PDA

View Full Version : Managing Room Tags in Multiple Views

gunning
2007-06-04, 06:03 PM
We are working on our first Revit project and trying to deal with the fact that room tags are view-specific in Revit. Currently our plan is to insert all room tags in our working views (we have one for each floor), and when we're ready to print we'll copy and paste the room tags from the working views into all the other views (fire life safety plans, department plans, etc). We are in SD right now so we expect the floor layouts to change quite a bit. I'm thinking that every time we print a progress set we'll just have to copy all the tags to the clip board, and go through all the views, erase the old tags, and paste the latest ones.

Is there a better way to do this? It seems like such a step backwards from Autocad, but I can't think of any other way to deal with this. I did a search on the Revit forum and wasn't able to find a lot of information on managing room tags.

I would appreciate any input people can give me.

Thanks,

Cecilia Gunning
KMD

Scott D Davis
2007-06-04, 06:16 PM
Are you using Revit 2008? Yo may want to look into using Dependant views, which will allow you to place all room tags in a parent view, and they will be shown in all dependant views of the parent view. This allows you to place/manage room tags in one common location for each level.

gunning
2007-06-04, 06:28 PM
Thanks Scott,

We are currently working on Release 9. I take it Dependant Views are not available on 9? Are there any workarounds for versions earlier than 2008?

greg.mcdowell
2007-06-04, 08:09 PM
I think that what is really called for here is a slight (major?) change in methodology... instead of a separate "working" view think of them all as "plotting" views.

It's interesting that Revit seems to work best for me when I focus on what is in the view than what is in the model (an oversimplification granted).

I am trying to encourage those I work with to use more views instead of trying to understand everything in one. For example; if I'm working on a toilet room rather than place fixtures in the overall plan view with temporary (or even "permanent" and deleted) dimensions I create a callout and place fixtures and dimensions there. The nice thing about this is that the documentation of my design is concurrent with its creation. Before, when I would try to work everything in the base plan (or file in AutoCAD) documentation (specifically annotations) wouldn't take place until the last minute.

Not sure how clear I've been but it boils down to more annotated views earlier...

Scott D Davis
2007-06-04, 08:23 PM
Thanks Scott,

We are currently working on Release 9. I take it Dependant Views are not available on 9? Are there any workarounds for versions earlier than 2008?
You could create Groups for the tags. Create all the tags in one level that you would like to see. Copy the Group of room tags to other plans. Edit the group to make changes to one set of tags, and they will update across all the other plans using copies of that Group.

Other alternative, and the one should should greatly consider: upgrade from 9.0 to 2008....you are on subscription, right?

clog boy
2007-06-05, 12:29 PM
Not sure if and how this works for you.
You could copy-with-detailing from the design view, and apply a view template. Or select and copy all room tags, and edit/paste aligned/views by name to other views.