PDA

View Full Version : RA 2008 Communication Center??

Overconstrained
2007-06-05, 02:02 AM
Is this actually working for anyone? If so, how have you managed it?

Ours has never worked (no channels available, last updated 01/01/70???!!! 13:00).

Just curious as to others results with this. We're in New Zealand, but still have no luck if we change the region to USA.

Cheers,
Dean.

petervanko
2007-06-05, 01:55 PM
Did anyone ever use this in ACAD or ADT??? It was always annoying and I just disabled it.

VinceFerrero
2007-06-05, 08:24 PM
I can only remember a couple of occasions (over the last X years) where CommCentre actually notified me of some software updates, of course this was not in Revit. It annoys me that its there.

Can it be disabled through an option?

ws
2007-06-05, 08:33 PM
To disable Communication Center and other Options such as make subscription center available to users from Help...

Use the CadManagerControlUtility found on the DVD in the Utilities folder I think.

Start the .exe file in that folder, Choose 9.1 or 2008 from the drop down list and tick or untick the boxes in the tabbed dialogue, then 'Apply' and 'OK' out.

You can copy the folder to your hard drive if you ever want to reactivate/deactivate Comm Center.

that said... my channels are still empty - can't find the 'Welcome Wizard' mentioned in Help to set them up...

no great loss I guess ;)

ron.sanpedro
2007-06-05, 09:10 PM
I can only remember a couple of occasions (over the last X years) where CommCentre actually notified me of some software updates, of course this was not in Revit. It annoys me that its there.

Can it be disabled through an option?

I killed CC office wide. I have to believe there is some ram being eaten by CC when it is enabled, and Revit NEEDS ever byte it can get. I had thought about enabling CC on my machine so I would get update info, but since Autodesk couldn't be bothered with that, I will leave it dead office wide. CC and Google Earth are the two "features" in 2008 that really **** me off, because I am sure for the effort that went into a totally useless CC they could have made Elevation symbols graphically editable, which we have been asking for (and needing!) for years!

Gordon

Overconstrained
2007-06-05, 09:38 PM
I think it could be a reasonably useful tool it if worked as it should. It's kinda frustrating that a "new feature" of 2008 is obviously so flawed.

I'll post a support request and see what happens ;) .

Joef
2007-06-06, 12:37 AM
I have one install that shows channels and one that does not. It is turned off most of the time. Funny thing is that the install that actually works is the one with the latest build. So in order to find out that there was a new build I had to install the new build. Talk about chicken and egg....

tc3dcad60731
2007-06-06, 12:55 AM
#1 - CC is working for me in Revit (not always in ACAD)

#2 - I like the fact that it is now in Revit

#3 - I mostly like the tips part of it and notifying me that an update is ready.

#4 - I have tried several times over the past ten years to update via com center and it will download the file and then inevitably runs into some trouble to the point that it was simpler to go and download the file from the site directly and update the old fashion way.

Overconstrained
2007-06-06, 01:08 AM
I like the idea of comm. center for #3 as above. We have 3 Revit seats and none of the comm centers work. Support have told me it's something to do with our HTTP ports, however I don't believe this as I am trialling AutoCAD at the moment and the comm centre works fine in that.

PS: Just trialling ACAD to see how it's progressed since I last used it in 2004 ;) !!

petervanko
2007-06-06, 01:24 PM
...I'm not a fan of anything that runs in the background. My opinion is that the OS is the only thing that should be "automatically updating"...

Chad Smith
2007-08-31, 01:39 AM
Of the users that have the communication center showing updates, do you get a balloon notification? I have the option checked, but so far it hasn't ever notified me.

ws
2007-08-31, 07:58 AM
As mentioned in another thread, communication center started working for me in the UK only with the latest SP2 build of RAC 2008.

Yes, I have seen one balloon alert just after I enabled the thing but nothing since.

I have it set to check all the channels 'daily' but booting up this morning for example, nothing seems to happen unless I click on the 'satellite dish' icon - but maybe I have viewed all the current messages.

As for running in the background, it only uses a very small amount of resources - and a quick look in Task Manager will show that there are many more things running in the background that bother me more (e.g. anti-spyware that is meant to be turned off).