PDA

View Full Version : Curved Building

3d.140577
2007-06-05, 04:12 AM
Hi Friends,

I have one curved shaped building which i need to model in revit Building 9.1. I have tried to model it but i am facing some problem with the roof . So please can somebody help me to create this model...

I have attached the autocad model here..basically i need sam shape in Revit..also the roof has inner framing as well at regular distance...Now i am looking for some help full tips for the same...

dhurtubise
2007-06-05, 06:03 AM
That is gonna be a bit of a challenge since it's more like a loft.
I would model it in max then import in Revit

clog boy
2007-06-05, 07:41 AM
Can you create it as a mass, then do 'roof by face'?

3d.140577
2007-06-05, 07:46 AM
I have tried with mass modelling as well..but it's not making the roof properly..as you can see the gutter is attached with the roof itself..and when i am trying to create roof by face it not allowing me to select that small part of gutter

clog boy
2007-06-05, 08:10 AM
So the roof itself is created as planned?

Steve_Stafford
2007-06-05, 12:50 PM
If it is really two different sizes at each end (the profiles don't look much different in size) you can create a solid loft in AutoCAD using each profile (AutoCAD 2007 & 2008). Then import this solid into Revit massing and apply a roof to the face.

If it isn't a loft (2 different profiles) then you should be able to sweep a profile along a path on an inclined workplane.

As for the gutter, those can be inplace sweeps using a profile you either sketch in-place or make first in the family editor.

Matt Brennan
2007-06-05, 09:35 PM
If it is really two different sizes at each end (the profiles don't look much different in size) you can create a solid loft in AutoCAD using each profile (AutoCAD 2007 & 2008). Then import this solid into Revit massing and apply a roof to the face.

If it isn't a loft (2 different profiles) then you should be able to sweep a profile along a path on an inclined workplane.

As for the gutter, those can be inplace sweeps using a profile you either sketch in-place or make first in the family editor.

Why don't you import what you have posted since it is already in 3d; redefine it? Like everyone has said, import it into a mass. Or am I missing something?

3d.140577
2007-06-06, 03:34 AM
Hi..

Thank you to all of you..i received some replies but none of them ate usefull to me. basically what i need is as below..

1. I need create this curved shape building in Revit only. Also, i like to know whether this is bug in Revit 9.1 which doesn't allow to create a loft or sweep for this shape.

2. I have done this model in AutoCAD 2007 using LOFT.

3. I have imported that same AutoCAD LOFTED object in Revit massing. I have spoken to one of Autodesk orthorized reseller regarding this issue. Even they also unable to solve this.

4. My final requirements is to have 4 number of wall and roof on top of it with that curved shape. Also, the roof has gutter on both the sides.

I hope now this is much clear what i need. So now i am expecting some more feedback from all you guys who are really well with Revit Building..

Steve_Stafford
2007-06-06, 03:58 AM
So shall we do your work for you? :wink: If you made a loft in Autocad and imported it into a Revit massing family you should have been able to use the Roof by Face command when you finished the mass family. Are you saying you were not able to do so? Can you post the AutoCAD loft? Was it made with AutoCAD 2007 or higher?

dhurtubise
2007-06-06, 04:08 AM
Make sure you import in a mass family. It can be an rfa or an inplace.

3d.140577
2007-06-06, 04:17 AM
So shall we do your work for you? :wink: If you made a loft in Autocad and imported it into a Revit massing family you should have been able to use the Roof by Face command when you finished the mass family. Are you saying you were not able to do so? Can you post the AutoCAD loft? Was it made with AutoCAD 2007 or higher?

Hi..i have already attached CAD file with my message...

3d.140577
2007-06-06, 04:19 AM

Hi Daniel,

I have done that..also the CAD file you have attached is not what i want..please use my attached CAD file..

Tobie
2007-06-06, 05:11 AM
This is where a blend along path would really come in handy.

Tobie
2007-06-06, 05:51 AM
I made this with a void blend cutting an extrusion. The problem is that you can not pick the curved sloping edge to create a roof. Has anyone solved this problem?

clog boy
2007-06-06, 06:13 AM
Hi..
I have spoken to one of Autodesk orthorized reseller regarding this issue. Even they also unable to solve this.

What do you think is their main business..?

Right. ^^

I don't really think the building is your problem. Curved walls are not an issue, it's the slope along the curved path. Once your mass-related roof has been created, you can attach the walls to the roof. (unless I'm missing something here)

3d.140577
2007-06-06, 06:14 AM
I made this with a void blend cutting an extrusion. The problem is that you can not pick the curved sloping edge to create a roof. Has anyone solved this problem?

hi..thanks for your work..i have done till here but now same problem which you are also facing is that we can not allow to select the edge of the mass to create a roof. even curved roof. if you create a curved roof than also it is not allowing us to add gutter on sides..

Tobie
2007-06-06, 06:32 AM

Make sure you import as above and then pick roof by face. I hate the fact that we can not create this in Refit as you seem to be able to in Autocad. We do not have Autocad in the office and that means that we are limited?

clog boy
2007-06-06, 06:40 AM
Did your reseller provide a CD/DVD? The DVD contains Revit.
Now look on the CD, and you'll find AutoCAD is part of the deal. At least that's how it works for us. Check with your reseller for more info.

Tobie
2007-06-06, 06:56 AM
That will be the Revit Autocad bundle, we only get Revit. I have been on Revit since V3.1, before Autodesk bought Revit.

clog boy
2007-06-06, 07:31 AM
Made a sloped ref. plane from one point of the arc to the other, and tried to use that as a workplane for an extruded roof. Didn't quite work out, but I might be on to something.

Question: how will it be created when it's built? That's how I always try to think. You might be off 'quite well' if you try to create a sloped blend mass, copy, rotate, and join segments.
Right now it's only visual presentation. The contractor who builds the roof will make his own drawings based on yours.

Also Tobie: are you a fellow Dutchie like me?

Tobie
2007-06-06, 07:36 AM
Hi Bram. I am 4th generation South African, but living in Australia now, my wife is Australian.
I do also think that if it is very difficult to model in Revit, then it is going to be difficult to build on site, maybe not difficult, but expensive. I have not had a budget for a free form roof yet......
Cheers,

Steve_Stafford
2007-06-06, 12:47 PM
Your AutoCAD file is not a loft solid, if it were there would be no facets on the surface, and that is what will generate a roof properly. When you create the roof by face you can't add a host sweep gutter, you have to sweep a profile along the edge of the roof using an in-place family. Until the development team provides a sweep that can use multiple profiles we aren't going to be able to make these shapes faithfully. That said, if I remember correctly there doesn't appear to much difference in the size of the profiles at either end, something like 80mm? If the profile doesn't change then a solid sweep in Revit should deliver.

Tobie
2007-06-06, 10:34 PM
I have not been able to do a sweep that curves in plan and changes height in elevation. Is it possible and how.
Steve, I have made a solid a bit earlier in the thread and can not pick the curved edge for sweep. I think that is the problem that Nitesh had all along.

3d.140577
2007-06-07, 03:04 AM
I have not been able to do a sweep that curves in plan and changes height in elevation. Is it possible and how.
Steve, I have made a solid a bit earlier in the thread and can not pick the curved edge for sweep. I think that is the problem that Nitesh had all along.

Hi Tobie,

Yes, you are correct this is what problem which i am facing. I really like to know the correct way for that..i am using Revit Building lot and i can not stop work in siftuation like this...

Steve_Stafford
2007-06-07, 03:33 AM
I built a new AutoCAD loft myself based on your file and used it in a mass family. I then applied a Revit roof to the mass in a project. The resulting roof looks "nice" but then I couldn't pick the edge as Tobie stated. There must be something about how the roof shape is sketched in AutoCAD that makes the edge unsuitable to Revit's taste. I set up a work plane in-line with the edge that the gutter will follow and sketched a gutter in "loosely".

Next I did the roof, pure Revit, and I could pick the edge to define the path of a gutter sweep, in-place family that is. The pure roof doesn't look all together different than the loft version and there isn't any design criteria to determine how important it is to have different profiles at either end.

It is purely academic at this point because now that I have done this you'll likely introduce a new rule to consider and it starts all over... Before embarking on some errand it helps a lot to define what is necessary and it isn't obvious why there is such a subtle difference in the profiles in the cad file. Doesn't appear to be significant enough to bother with a loft.

I've attached the file to poke around in. I messed around with it during the intermissions of the Anaheim Ducks Stanley Cup WIN! Tough break for Ottawa fans, wasn't their night for sure! Met several of the Duck players at a xmas party and it was nice to see them pull it off!

Wesley
2007-06-07, 09:31 AM
If it is only the thickness of the two profiles that change (and not their actual shape) then you could get the exact result using void sweeps to cut away a larger solid object.

Upper void has curved bottom to match top of loft shape and vice versa for bottom sweep. so 'loft' at one end is 50mm (for instance) and at the other is 100mm (or 2 of King George the Vth's thumbs to four of them in Imperial...). This would also still allow you to pick the edges to use as a sweep for your gutters.

Wes

3d.140577
2007-06-07, 10:34 AM
I built a new AutoCAD loft myself based on your file and used it in a mass family. I then applied a Revit roof to the mass in a project. The resulting roof looks "nice" but then I couldn't pick the edge as Tobie stated. There must be something about how the roof shape is sketched in AutoCAD that makes the edge unsuitable to Revit's taste. I set up a work plane in-line with the edge that the gutter will follow and sketched a gutter in "loosely".

Next I did the roof, pure Revit, and I could pick the edge to define the path of a gutter sweep, in-place family that is. The pure roof doesn't look all together different than the loft version and there isn't any design criteria to determine how important it is to have different profiles at either end.

It is purely academic at this point because now that I have done this you'll likely introduce a new rule to consider and it starts all over... Before embarking on some errand it helps a lot to define what is necessary and it isn't obvious why there is such a subtle difference in the profiles in the cad file. Doesn't appear to be significant enough to bother with a loft.

I've attached the file to poke around in. I messed around with it during the intermissions of the Anaheim Ducks Stanley Cup WIN! Tough break for Ottawa fans, wasn't their night for sure! Met several of the Duck players at a xmas party and it was nice to see them pull it off!

Hi Steve..

Thank you very much for you help..

The Revit file which you have sent is in Revit 2008 and i am using 9.1. Now is there any way to conver same file in 9.1. Also, i request to you please if you can explain me in detail point by point that how you have created this roof in Revit only..

Your feedback on above would be much appreciated. Also you can email me directly to 3d@xscad.com.

Steve_Stafford
2007-06-08, 02:30 AM
...The Revit file which you have sent is in Revit 2008 and i am using 9.1. Now is there any way to conver same file in 9.1. Also, i request to you please if you can explain me in detail point by point that how you have created this roof in Revit only...Sorry, can't save backward to 9.1. You'll need to work through it yourself if you don't wish to upgrade to 2008.

I just used a solid sweep for the "all Revit" version. The only tricky part is I placed a reference plane at an angle in elevation and named it. Then in 3D I assigned the view's workplane to the reference plane. Then I created the solid sweep, first describing the path and then sketching the profile. Afterward I used another pair of solid sweeps for the gutters, picking the eave of each side of the roof to define the path and then sketched the profile. I used a void at each end to carve off the excess roof to match the same footprint of the original roof scheme you made.

Give it a try...

clog boy
2007-06-08, 06:08 AM
As I noted earlier, don't go 'by the inch' because the roof contractor will make his own drawings. 2D-details are by the inch. 3d floorplans too. But models of which the exact size and shape should be determined later... not so.