PDA

View Full Version : One building - several options

clog boy
2007-06-05, 08:09 AM
Hi. I recently switched jobs. This company designs and builds houses, we have several types with a fair amount of standard options - mix and match.
I've been hired to take a look at their revit files, to see if there's a way to implement all options and switch them on and off individually. Every option also changes the main model. Adding a garage would require a door to the garage, etc.

Is there a way to switch back and forth, without losing track of quantities? Right now they've got phases and design options, but we've reached the flex limits for these particular houses.

I'm thinking of making 'empty' files with the most common types, manipulate them project-wise and finetune them individually (if buyer requests aditional options). The drawings will likely be exported to and finalized by CAD monkeys. But all this will require re-creation of existing options, and we don't like that.

What would be the drawbacks for using design options? Do design options schedule right? Because currently we're looking at a 'mix and match' approach. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

petervanko
2007-06-05, 01:06 PM
My only experience with scheduling design options has been with programming/early SD. It worked great.

However, for me DO's have been tough to work with in latter phases (too many dependencies build up).

clog boy
2007-06-05, 01:31 PM
I see... is there a way to assemble design options and 'break them apart' (ie remove redundant design options and extract components from valid options)?

petervanko
2007-06-05, 01:43 PM
Copying and pasting is the most efficient way I have found.

Here's my workflow:
Set up option sets with options within. Use the nifty icon from the DO toolbar that copies selected geometry to option sets (see screen shot); this gets the elements you wish to vary into all options. To get rid of redundant options you can can copy/paste as needed until you have the right assemblies (enter option, Ctrl+C geometry, exit option, enter option you wish to paste into, EDIT pulldown "paste aligned" same place). Look out though; once too many dependencies have been arranged (ie walls projecting up to different roofs, etc., sometimes you end up with nearly the entire building in each design option.