PDA

View Full Version : Trim around windows

tc3dcad60731
2007-06-07, 07:19 PM
Hi all - I was wondering if you had a house that requires 1x trim around all windows if you would use wall sweeps or just save the window as a different file and add the trim to the file itself?

I inserted the windows that were needed and then realized that I needed the trimwork. So I went and placed wall sweeps all around the windows placing the window and the sweep in a group. It all seemed to work great at first and now everytime I open the file one or more sweeps has gone crazy. It does not always happen to the same sweep nor the same window. But it is fairly consistent to the side of the house. (really wierd) Anyway, now I am regretting what was a time saver at first since it was only a remodel job and now is a pain in the neck.

Suggestions on what y'all are doing are welcome!

Thanks

kpaxton
2007-06-07, 07:38 PM
Thomas,
Yes, there are a few different ways of handling this. You've already found one. I suggest to people that they don't use in-place families for this unless they know for a fact that something isn't going to move, or it's a unique situation. Otherwise you're bound to run into problems like you're having. :)

The other methods involve creating a specific family based window trim that has family options built-in for widths and heights just like the windows you're using. A simple wall based family will work. You can then just add them like any other family to your model, place and align. The way I have mine built, I lock the underside of the top trim to the top of my window, then lock the centerline of the trim to the centerline of the window. Move the window... the trim moves too. Change the window... you'll have to change the width of the unit, but that's easy enough.

The other is to do the above, but nest it inside your window family. The drawback for this is that you're then 'stuck' with that one window trim style. You have to utilize 'yes/no' parameters to control their visibility - essentially turning them off and on. You can also nest others inside for variety. Be careful as this can create a fair amount of 'bloat' in a single file. I tend to use the above option, just because of flexibility.

my thoughts..
Kyle

twiceroadsfool
2007-06-07, 07:56 PM
Edit the window family and do a save as, if you dont want to change the one in your library. Dont load it directly back in to the project, though... Go in the project browser, and find the original family in the Families tab, and right click > reload. Then browse to your new family, and click okay. It will REPLACE the other family, so you dont have to grab all your windows and switch them. Plus, you wont have both windows loaded in...

I knabbed that little strategy from someones blog that posts on here, i just cant remember who's...

EDIT: Also, for what its worth (and remember, this is JUST my own humble little opinion), in-place families for anything that isnt entirely one off and project wide (like a blending floor or a Massed building shape) is the Devil, and will initiate me throwing a temper tantrum if i come across it in a model im working in.

tc3dcad60731
2007-06-08, 12:55 AM
Thanks for the responses! Both of you point out some interesting things too. It did not even cross my mind to do the trim family. That would have been so simple and easy!