PDA

View Full Version : Roof layers?

wse1
2007-06-08, 06:53 PM
I am drawing a section detail throgh an existing facia where the sheathing and roofing extend beyond and over hangs the end of the rafter tail and facia board by about an inch. Is there a way to drag the sheathing and roofing layers out away from the rafter layer? I was looking for layer control features similar to walls? If not, any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks for the help!

BillyGrey
2007-06-08, 11:17 PM
I don't know of any tools/methods that would allow me to accomplish this, but will stand corrected in a heartbeat if there is. In the mean time, if I were only using this detail in a localized call-out, I would probably simply draw in a filled region to match/right over my sheathing layer, and run it out an inch over the tails.

Otherwise, I have modeled a roof sheathing layer right over a truss/rafter roof layer using the pick tool with an offset as needed. Pretty quick to do. You end up with 2 roof elements, but you also have total control .

In the end, I guess it would all be determined by the complexion of the roof and level of detail I needed.

Cheers

rodneyf
2007-06-09, 02:33 AM
wse1,

The roof tool does not allow you to do this with one roof object, but I have sent in a support request asking for the roof object to behave like the walls in that I can unlock the finish layers and drag them to wherever I want to. I did this back in 2005 and if everyone sent in a support request asking for this feature to be implemented it might get put to the top of the priority list by the factory. But as Billy Grey stated you could have two roof objects to do what you want right now and I have done it this way and it work but it is one more thing to manage. Hope that helps.

rjcrowther
2007-06-09, 05:41 AM
If you follow the posts from whittendesigns, you will find roofing is a topic of great interest and he appears to have spent quite sometime developing a method that works for him.

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=57837&highlight=roof+members

the above link may be a good place to start if you want to follow that path.

My method is to draw with filled regions over the top of the roof slab when I want to get to that level of detail.

Rob

ws
2007-06-09, 10:19 AM
I've been wondering how to do this detail since I first saw how Revit does roofs.

I had wondered about using a void to subtract the 'rafter ends' below the roofcovering oversail at the eaves, but being able to unlock a layer as in walls is a great idea :)

You can get away with not bothering as along as there is a gutter run along the eaves to conceal what is happening, but when you look at the gable it doesn't look right.

All my jobs have slate roofs with at least a 3" oversail beyond the end of the rafter feet and so doing a double roof may be the simplest workaround for the moment.

rjcrowther
2007-06-10, 12:59 AM
I've been wondering how to do this detail since I first saw how Revit does roofs.

I had wondered about using a void to subtract the 'rafter ends' below the roofcovering oversail at the eaves, but being able to unlock a layer as in walls is a great idea :)

You can get away with not bothering as along as there is a gutter run along the eaves to conceal what is happening, but when you look at the gable it doesn't look right.

All my jobs have slate roofs with at least a 3" oversail beyond the end of the rafter feet and so doing a double roof may be the simplest workaround for the moment.
I did the void idea early on and have never done it again. It is a painful way of doing it ....... quite humorous when you look back at one's previous attempts (can remember thinking at the time how clever I was to think of using a void in the way).

Anthony Miguel
2007-06-11, 11:21 AM
I am drawing a section detail throgh an existing facia where the sheathing and roofing extend beyond and over hangs the end of the rafter tail and facia board by about an inch. Is there a way to drag the sheathing and roofing layers out away from the rafter layer? I was looking for layer control features similar to walls? If not, any suggestions on how I can accomplish this?

Thanks for the help!

Why not use the EDIT CUT PROFILE? However, this only works in the Section View!

Andre Baros
2007-06-11, 12:04 PM
Drawing two (or more) roofs on top of each other works really well and gives you lots of flexibility. For example, if your rafter depth varies, you can have a single roof on "top" of everything which is consistent and hosts any sweeps you need, and various roof "under" to accommodate the reality of construction details.

This same method is useful for floors and sometimes even for walls. I've found over time that drawing a few layers is more of a method than a work around.