PDA

View Full Version : Baluster Spacing Parameters

kafka
2007-06-08, 11:09 PM
Hello,

please, could someone help me to understand the meaning of the value I circled in the "edit baluster dia"? Why are there 2 cells for the baluster distance? Usually If I need a spacing of say X between balusters I edit just the first value and fill the second cell with 0 as it confuses me a lot...what is it for?

Thanks!

Giulio

jtobin.68416
2007-06-12, 01:28 AM
Hello,

please, could someone help me to understand the meaning of the value I circled in the "edit baluster dia"? Why are there 2 cells for the baluster distance? Usually If I need a spacing of say X between balusters I edit just the first value and fill the second cell with 0 as it confuses me a lot...what is it for?

Thanks!

Giulio

I believe it's to do with balancing the pattern if you have custom balusters, like wide panels, in your railing. I say 'I believe' because I've gotten it to work, but can't really explain the math.
Try it with two 24" glass panels in your pattern - space one 24" on center, the other 36", with this value at zero, the panels will not space equally. By typing a value (usually approximately half the wide panel width - 12") the extra space helps to balance out the pattern.

As far as I know, you don't need it with the usual narrow railings

Maybe someone who understands it better can elaborate further.

John Tobin