PDA

View Full Version : How do you handle Millwork

rdaniel
2007-06-11, 04:39 PM
How are you handling millwork in Revit? Are you modeling, using 2d linework in views, or a combination of both? If in 3D, are you using casework families?

I'm hoping to learn from your valuable experience for those who would be so kind as to share. Working on my first project in the program and getting around to the millwork now - just hoping to avoid any mistakes some of you may have already made.

My first attempt has been to make a countertop family and I've already ran into a problem. I have an L-Shaped countertop created by two intersecting components and they don't clean up at the corner. I've tried join geometry but the command doesn't recognize the families. Any ideas on how to fix?

Thanks a lot,

Randall

Justin Marchiel
2007-06-11, 05:58 PM
depends on what you need to show. are you doing CD with millwork, or do you just need to show where millwork is going?

We do jobs where millwork is part of the contract so I created 3d components and countertops. I insert them in the dwg and you get the plan and elevations views. We then tag with a coding system for modular work.

Makes things fast and simple and once you developed the system runs pretty smooth. not as easy with custom millwork of reception counters, but still pretty easy to model once you get the hang of it.

My countertop family has extra part in the corners to cut our 45 where they meet other counters. i control it will a visiblilty parameter so that when there is not a l shape the cabinet will just but the wall.

Justin

rdaniel
2007-06-11, 07:01 PM
Will be doing CD's with millwork. When you do the 45 does show the corner still ( a mitered look) or do you just "freeze" that as part of the visibility>

I'm looking at how to do a visibility parameter. I assume it is with the on/off type. Is that correct?

c-hawk
2007-06-11, 07:27 PM
That's right, create an on/off parameter and assign (equalize) it to the object's Visible parameter.

cstanley
2007-06-11, 07:30 PM
We've actually adopted the AWI/Woodwork institute methods. the components are the ones you can download from the Revit Content website. It actually works very well. I did quite a bit of modifying to the families, as well as building type catalogs for all of them. They have a published set of standards already widely accepted in the states, and we simply include it in our spec, as well as requiring the millwork contractor to be a member (which many of them already are.) it is a very descriptive manual. Also doesn't require any section drawings (unless it's a specialty piece.)

it's nice because, with the exception of much of our healthcare work, the millwork is only designated in plan view, and elevations are not required. they are tagged such that the contractor knows exactly which model it is, as well as the dimensions (in 3" increments, which helps to standardize and keep production costs down.)

check out the catalog at http://www.wicnet.org/pdfdocs/03-manual/03Sup02.pdf
and also a pdf of how our tagging works. It works very well, however there have since been a few changes to the attached document. we also include the depth on the tag. When looking at the tag, the top number is the millwork component, and below are the HxWxD in inches. (36"Hx18"Wx24"D. This is why we don't need to dimension or show them in elevations.) When there's change left over at the end, we just use a filler panel (3" or less.)

once you see the numbers in the catalog, it will make sense.

rdaniel
2007-06-11, 07:51 PM
Looks like it works pretty seamless. Thanks for the tip

I checked out the Revit content directory. They had three catagories: bath, kitchen, and lab. Does it matter which ones you use? It looks like they have the L-shape as a whole separate family. I guess in this approach you would have to create a separate family for U-Shape as well. Also, what if your L or U is not at 90 degree angles? Do you have to do another unique family?

cstanley
2007-06-11, 08:15 PM
Looks like it works pretty seamless. Thanks for the tip

I checked out the Revit content directory. They had three catagories: bath, kitchen, and lab. Does it matter which ones you use? It looks like they have the L-shape as a whole separate family. I guess in this approach you would have to create a separate family for U-Shape as well. Also, what if your L or U is not at 90 degree angles? Do you have to do another unique family?Sorry. the millwork stuff is only linked to the Revit content. it's not the kitchen, bathroom, lab stuff. you can download it all from the millwork institute's website (http://www.wicnet.org/publications/casework.asp.) also, the AWI has just adopted this casework nomenclature method as well.

on the subject of counter shapes, I have created an L, a U, and the regular one. Each has visibility parameters for backsplash, as well as nested sink types with visibilities. this way, I only need three countertops on a normal project...

rdaniel
2007-06-11, 10:06 PM
That's right, create an on/off parameter and assign (equalize) it to the object's Visible parameter.

How do you do this? Having a little trouble.

Thanks.

sultarc
2007-06-11, 10:25 PM
I have been using AWI to great advantage. Where I need custom things like reception counters, etc. I model it in place. I do a lot of doctor and dental offices which are casework intensive.

Justin Marchiel
2007-06-11, 11:06 PM
i originally started by looked at the awi but found the content to complicated and i wanted the family to do more. I created my own content (that is similar) but put more functionallity into it (but i have to admit i looked at the stock content for a starting point). I also work in canada, so things are a little different.

If you are just starting i need to add content, looking to manufacturer and associations is a great way to get information and have something to show immediatly. I find that once i have time i like to make things "my own" and build it so that it can do more for our office workflow.

Justin

cstanley
2007-06-12, 03:37 PM
i originally started by looked at the awi but found the content to complicated and i wanted the family to do more. I created my own content (that is similar) but put more functionallity into it (but i have to admit i looked at the stock content for a starting point). I also work in canada, so things are a little different.

If you are just starting i need to add content, looking to manufacturer and associations is a great way to get information and have something to show immediatly. I find that once i have time i like to make things "my own" and build it so that it can do more for our office workflow.

JustinI'd have to agree. After the bones of the system were set up, I did a good bit of customizing for our workflow. However, we did stick to the AWI's numerical nomenclature. So far, the contractors like it much better, because all the conceivable requirements are already laid out in the standards. It is reducing our RFI's quite a bit, because our spec already called for using AWI, yet users were unknowingly contradicting the spec on the actual casework drawings.

now it's less work for everyone involved, and much less confusion.

rdaniel
2007-06-15, 10:18 PM
on the subject of counter shapes, I have created an L, a U, and the regular one. Each has visibility parameters for backsplash, as well as nested sink types with visibilities. this way, I only need three countertops on a normal project...

Do you mind sharing these? Also, someone mentioned being able to turn the backsplash on/off in these families by using a visibility parameter. Are you taking advantage of this capability / know how to do it?

cstanley
2007-06-18, 01:57 PM
Do you mind sharing these? Also, someone mentioned being able to turn the backsplash on/off in these families by using a visibility parameter. Are you taking advantage of this capability / know how to do it?yes, that's what I did. they are also height-variable.