PDA

View Full Version : Line Style and View Placement on Sheets?

olakahahola
2007-06-11, 05:13 PM
Simple question. Is there a way to create a line style that can be visiable in the view, but doesn't plot? like a nonplot layer.
What i am trying to do is locate plans on sheets that are placed on the same location, so i am creating detail lines from corner of sheet to a fixed point to locat all plans/rcp and all at the same location. anyone got a idea?

chodosh
2007-06-11, 05:59 PM
While there is no such thing as an inherently non-plotting Line element (yet...?), your best bet would be to make the grid/guides out of Reference Lines in your Titleblock Family, and voila, you have a useful grid or set of guides for alignment of views that will not print, just remember to check your Print Setup.
HTH,
LC

Justin Marchiel
2007-06-11, 05:59 PM
why not create a couple or ref planes. or you could create a line style that you can turn off and on when needed for plotting.

Justin

cdetore
2007-06-11, 09:33 PM
One other thing you could do is to have the layout lines in your titleblock family and give them a "display yes/no" instance parameter. We use this to show or hide layouts for detail sheets.

c

dhurtubise
2007-06-12, 02:59 AM
Got the same here. Simply draw the grid, pick all the lines and under properties pick the little button to the right of visible.
That will create a yes\no parameter.
make it an instance one and turn it on or off

chodosh
2007-06-13, 11:24 PM
Same here, too. We use both methods, it depends on the users' preference.

Here's another thought that is kinda sorta related to this: wouldn't it be great if all of these various methods of providing grids and guides on titleblocks mattered when you really want to line text up with something other than other text without having to eyeball it? Like I said, just a thought...

Best,
LC

Steve_Stafford
2007-06-14, 03:25 AM
...when you really want to line text up with something other than other text without having to eyeball it? Like I said, just a thought...Nah Elizabeth, that's just :screwy: talk :wink: I hope all is well with your project!

chodosh
2007-06-14, 03:55 AM
Oh, c'mon already, Steve, it ain't all that crazy... just not parametrically intelligent to go back to simple drafting construction techniques, but it would still be nice...
However, instead, there should be some way to create an intelligent grid system in the Titleblock Family that can have parameter values that then other elements in the model can respond to, like detail tags (e.g. 1,2,3 in the X direction, and A,B,C in the Y directon so that tags auto-fill with A1, C3, etc.). And that intelligent grid should be with Invisible Lines that are visible all the time by default but NEVER print by accident because they're intelligently non-plotting ineherently all of the time. Give the Titleblock Families their own XY coordinates system! Now, there's true crazy talk. :p
Best,
LC

PS - The project is going well, thanks!