PDA

View Full Version : Variable Size Windows?

Archimac
2004-07-27, 05:25 PM
To all of the family experts: Is it possible to create a window that
has variable size which you can change in the first properties box instead
of having to Edit/copy/New. This would be great for preliminary design in
elevations.:?:

What I would really like is for handles to appear on the window when clicked
on in elevation. Possible:?:

Allen Lacy
2004-07-27, 05:31 PM
Yes, it's possible. Just make the parameters for height and width instance parameters. I think that the Instance Fixed stock window is this way.

Scott D Davis
2004-07-27, 05:36 PM
As Allen said, instance parameters become 'handle' points on geometry that can be stretched. You will need to hoover over the edge of an object, and hit the Tab key, until just the handle line highlights, then click and drag.

Beyond that, Instance Parameter families are just that: individual instances. A change on one will not affect the others. The parameters will show up in the 'lower' instance parameters area of the properties dialog. No need to create a new 'type' for each size.

aaronrumple
2004-07-27, 05:42 PM
However instance parameters can't be used in formulas....

Scott Hopkins
2004-07-27, 05:54 PM
However instance parameters can't be used in formulas....
Actually, as of 6.0, you can use instance parameters in formulas. What you can't do is mix instance and type parameters in the same formula.

aaronrumple
2004-07-27, 06:18 PM
ya - that's what I ment... ;)

Archimac
2004-07-28, 02:11 AM
I am really glad to hear this. It will make things more flexible. Now, I just have to learn to make them!

beegee
2004-07-28, 02:58 AM
I am really glad to hear this. It will make things more flexible. Now, I just have to learn to make them!
At the end of THIS THREAD (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=4821&highlight=instance+window), Irwin posted an instance window opening family which you can play with to see how it was done.

ejburrell67787
2004-07-28, 08:13 AM
... will need to hoover over the edge of an object, ...

Very curious about this hoovering... in Britain that means to vacuum something... :wink:

Archimac
2004-07-28, 01:20 PM
I think that (vacuum) has changed to Dyson:smile: ... therefore we can use hoovering.
Hoover sucks!