PDA

View Full Version : Groups automatically excluding elements

s.messing
2007-06-12, 01:56 PM
General:
I placed a group and it automatically excluded 2 elements. Any idea why?

Specific:
The group was created from the Group button up top. It is a new model group. The content inside it is several different pieces of casework. I copied it and placed it in a new location and two of the pieces of casework disappeared.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen

nnguyen
2007-06-12, 02:31 PM
General:
I placed a group and it automatically excluded 2 elements. Any idea why?

Specific:
The group was created from the Group button up top. It is a new model group. The content inside it is several different pieces of casework. I copied it and placed it in a new location and two of the pieces of casework disappeared.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Stephen

This happens to us quite often. At least when I go around our plan to check on our Unit groups, I see that it has excluded members. I have actually caused this myself, and other team members have done this without looking at the warning. The reason for us was that there is the exact same element in the spot, so Revit does given me a warning (in this instance) that it will exclude the member in the group until we remove the duplicate and restore all excluded members from the group. Also, if there is overlapping walls within the group it will exclude one of the walls. That's our scenario.

s.messing
2007-06-12, 10:13 PM
This happens to us quite often. At least when I go around our plan to check on our Unit groups, I see that it has excluded members. I have actually caused this myself, and other team members have done this without looking at the warning. The reason for us was that there is the exact same element in the spot, so Revit does given me a warning (in this instance) that it will exclude the member in the group until we remove the duplicate and restore all excluded members from the group. Also, if there is overlapping walls within the group it will exclude one of the walls. That's our scenario.
Awesome. Thank you very much! This makes sense. I am going to go back and test this theory, but I bet that this is the case. I couldn't get the file to repeat this today, but I don't think I was overlapping identical instances as I (maybe) was yesterday.

Thanks again,
Stephen

Gadget Man
2007-06-14, 12:10 AM
Also, another scenario may be that you have some elements of your group attached to something that is not a part of the group (e.g. lock-dimensioned). When you try to create a group including such an attached element, Revit will warn you that some of the elements were not included in your group - which could mean this locked dimension.

I may be wrong, but this is a situation that happens to me often: after creating a roof, I draw its outline using detail lines (for showing the roof outline as a dashed line in the other views). If I leave the "locked" option "ON", my detail lines are locked to the roof defining lines (edges, ridges, etc.). If I try then to group my dashed detail lines together (to copy them to the different views for example) Revit warns me that "some of the elements were not included in the group" but my group still includes all the detail lines I created. The conclusion I draw from this behaviour is that the "not included elements" were the roof defining lines, to which my detail lines were attached (locked).