PDA

View Full Version : Window Type Elevations, Curtain Walls and Groups

mzabritski
2007-06-12, 03:16 PM
We use Window type elevations instead of a schedule for all of our windows. True Window families work just fine when creating the type elevations in a legend view. My question relates to Curtain Walls. We typcically display these along with the other window types in an elevation view for a project. The problem with creating a legend view is that curtain walls can not be displayed in them. I've read a lot about different methods that can be used to accomplish this and am trying the following:

We are using non-type driven curtain walls to create several different window systems. These different types are used varying amounts in the project (maybe 1 instance of it, maybe many instances of the window). Because you can not use curtain walls in a legend view to create the type elevations, I have created a wall in a Management phase and inserted all of the windows there. This will be the drawing used for our Type Elevations (with tags and dimensions).

Several questions and issues related to this:

1. What is the best method to use non-type driven curtain walls? I get it the created the way I want and make a group of it? This way I can use it at other locations? Also want to be able to change that particular type and have them all change. Groups seem to be the solution. (If so, see the problem below with the managment phase)

2. While using a curtain wall window grouped in the management phase, if you edit the window in the management phase, it changes throughout the project (good), but it also causes the curtain wall types already drawn in the rest of the project to change to the management phase, causing them to dissapear from other views (set to display current phase only). I can change them back, but it is annoying.

3. Probably can just get rid of the management phase and create a wall with windows and curtain walls off to the side in the current phase. This would probably fix things, but I wanted to see what others are doing.

Any suggestions or other methods that might work? I guess the main question is what is the best practice for using non-type driven curtain walls in multiple locations.

Matt H
2007-06-12, 03:48 PM
This actually it quite a popular question. I'm surprised autodesk hasn't really done anything about it. What i've done, is simple create the "Curtain Wall" as a family(basically a window). Yes this does mean you have to start from strach, but it works. Also i've heard of people creating Elevations, and just Cropping the view so it only shows the window. Either way, they are both pretty tedious.

Hopefully this helps.

cwilrycx.109927
2007-08-14, 05:48 PM
I'd actually really like some follow up on this. I do not understand what the restriction is, WINDOW WALL and WINDOW? Seems fairly easy to be able to handle both of them in a similar manner. I too am very desirous of being able to create a legend and slip a few Window Wall elevations into it. Make my annotations and call it a day. Anyone?

cliff collins
2007-08-14, 07:12 PM
We create elevation views of each curtainwall or storefront, and place on our window type sheets next to the legend views. We also use this method for interior borrow light frames, etc. Works pretty well. You can hide the elevation symbols in views where they are not needed.

It would be nice if Legends were vastly improved---these need some serious updating!

Cheers.....

vennix
2007-08-14, 08:31 PM
Yes, and while doing this, tag my legend views so I don't have to type in manually all the type marks typos errors and all.
What I do for curtain wall elements is create call out views and place them on the same sheet as my window legends. But this invokes human error, which I hoped to exclude from the equation using Revit. Should be doable, given all the other automation's Revit provides

Geert

amorie
2007-08-15, 02:47 AM
We also draw window "type" elevations. I have devised a system where each discreet curtain wall is typed with a designation that uses the same typing syntax as the other "windows". I have drawn a wall type symbol that graphically is the same as our true "window type" symbol. Thus, in building elevation, the curtain walls when annotated end up looking the same as the other windows when they are annotated. (We do not wall type key our exterior walls, only interior walls, but if we did it would be easy to change the symbol being used for other walls vs. curtain walls.)

Then, I create a detail view in plan, hide that symbol so it won't print, and in the detail view stretch the view boundaries so it is larger than the curtain wall group. I then apply a view template created for just this situation that has only the windows, glazing, and other necessary annotations visible. In the view I can then annotate glass types, and do the required dimensioning.

When placed on the sheet, the elevation number is not referenced visibly anywhere on plan, which is OK, as the window type is designated on the building elevations, and folks know to go to the 8 series sheets for the window type info. The title of the elevation is the "window type " number.

The trick for me is the view template.

CFTrevizo
2011-04-15, 05:44 PM
Now with the ability to create custon Elevation Tags; I created one that looks just like our Window Type Tag; and only have the "Ref View Name" parameter shown int the Pointer family. So on similar ones I use the Reference Other View option & or also use the "Title on Sheet" override to my advantage depending on circumstances. :beer::beer::beer:

cdatechguy
2011-04-15, 06:37 PM
Now with the ability to create custon Elevation Tags; I created one that looks just like our Window Type Tag; and only have the "Ref View Name" parameter shown int the Pointer family. So on similar ones I use the Reference Other View option & or also use the "Title on Sheet" override to my advantage depending on circumstances. :beer::beer::beer:

Oh....I like this idea....

Currently I have an elevation type for curtain walls that are filtered out by the type name....