PDA

View Full Version : Temporary dimensions issue!

patricks
2007-06-12, 03:39 PM
My boss and I are working on a workset project at the same time right now. I'm doing wall sections and details and he is working on site grading.

When he does site grading, he likes to set the dimensions to decimal feet, as it helps with spot elevations and getting the site to grade properly. However I need feet and inches while doing my details. I don't suppose there is any way to have both at the same time, for temporary dimensions AND for the tape measure tool, is there?

I guess since he's the boss I need to leave it set as is right now :roll: :p

aggockel50321
2007-06-12, 05:20 PM
You could set up a new dimension type for your use, and set it to feet & inches, rather than using the project units settings...

patricks
2007-06-12, 06:45 PM
I believe temporary dimensions and the tape measure tool are controlled by project units, which is currently set to decimal feet instead of feet and inches.

petervanko
2007-06-12, 07:06 PM
But you can make a new dimension style and override the format no matter what the project units are. See image...

patricks
2007-06-12, 07:30 PM
Right, but then I would have to use the actual dimension tool and pull a dimension, and then delete it every time I needed to check something. I want my temporary dimensions and the tape measure tool to show how I want them, when I want them.

What we really need is the ability to assign both toposurface elevation points and temporary dimensions to a certain style, or the ability to override them. As of now, both of these things rely directly on the project unit settings and there does not seem to be a way to change it.

So I guess the only thing to do is just switch back and forth as we're working on this stuff.

petervanko
2007-06-12, 07:37 PM
I think you are right...that may be the only way. MAybe your boss would not mind working with an altered dim style that is decimal based? Also, you can input points on a topo as decimals despite the feet/inches project units...