PDA

View Full Version : Where is the existing button

Dave Lewis
2007-06-13, 12:53 AM
So I am modeling an existing building
I've got most of it done and now its time for a TI
The problem is now I have to go back and convert the phase created to existing.
Is there a way to do this easier. I cannot just select the entire building and switch it.
Plus I have nested groups. For example I have a group of cubicles that has a desk and some cube walls. It seems I have to edit the group and switch the phase for everything in the group. But I seem to have to do it for every instance of the group

Whats up?

Oh the reason for the thread title, it would be nice if there was an existing button like the demolish button

twiceroadsfool
2007-06-13, 01:15 AM
I honestly wish the demolish button wasnt there, because some people use it and dont realize it wont automatically assume the correct phase, it will demo in whatever phase your view is in.

That said, if you want a building to be existing, all you have to do is model it in a floor plan that is showing the existing phase (Existing: Show previous and new, or show complete, or show new, whatever).

If you modeled the whole thing as new construction, why not go in to Settings > Phases, and change that to Phase 1 (Existing), and create a Phase 2?

Then you dont have to worry about it...

aaronrumple
2007-06-13, 01:20 PM
Revit does need to change some of the terminology here. I've found it confuses the tradition architect that can only think new, existing and demo. Phases is really a time line - then, now and later are better terms. Also the phase filters confuse. If you have an existing phase and want to see the existing walls - you use the Show New phase filter. This always takes some explaining in the office. It really should say something like "Show Now"..

twiceroadsfool
2007-06-13, 01:23 PM
Aaron-

I agree one hundred percent...

On our projects, i actually replace New Construction with PHASE 1, because they see New in the Phase name, and New in the phase filter, and dont realize the filter is relative.

Maybe phase should show up in the option bar when youre modeling, so you dont have to dig in to the properties or in to different views to model?

Man, that would get confusing though...

bgauthier
2007-06-13, 01:31 PM
You are right Dave. It is quite difficult to "send" a whole drawing to the existing phase since there are lots of lines and planes that you can't affect to a phase. Revit should be able to detect what can or cannot be assigned to a phase.

aaronrumple
2007-06-13, 02:12 PM
You are right Dave. It is quite difficult to "send" a whole drawing to the existing phase since there are lots of lines and planes that you can't affect to a phase. Revit should be able to detect what can or cannot be assigned to a phase.
If you're in a 3D view then virtually everything can be assigned a phase. However, you do need to deselect sub-objects as they use the phase of the parent. So deselect curtain wall mullions, panels and grids.

Also groups must be changed at the instance level (while editing the group.) So deselect groups as well. The fastest way to get everything in a group to the correct phase is to cut/paste it to a view with the right phase. Or if in 3D - cut to clipboard. Change the views phase. Paste to same place. Reset phase.