PDA

View Full Version : Sloped site with pads - graphics issue

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-06-14, 08:40 PM
I have a sloped site with several pads at different elevations. In the ground floor plan the site shows as it should with the cut plane making the upper portion show using the cut pattern and the portion below my cut pane showing up as it should.
The problem arises when the pad at the higher elevation, well above my cut plane, causes a blank patch to show up in the sectioned portion of the site.
No matter how I mess with view range or any other setting I can think of the blank patch remains.

I can complete the piece with a filled region but why does this happen? Am I missing something or is this just the way it is?

Justin Marchiel
2007-06-14, 11:21 PM
might seem like dump question, when this happens to me, it is that the pad is associated to a higher level. have you checked the levels?

Justin

Firmso
2007-06-14, 11:57 PM
I have a sloped site with several pads at different elevations. In the ground floor plan the site shows as it should with the cut plane making the upper portion show using the cut pattern and the portion below my cut pane showing up as it should.
The problem arises when the pad at the higher elevation, well above my cut plane, causes a blank patch to show up in the sectioned portion of the site.
No matter how I mess with view range or any other setting I can think of the blank patch remains.

I can complete the piece with a filled region but why does this happen? Am I missing something or is this just the way it is?
Seems to me like the Site Settings. Go to Settings menu>Site Settings... and see if it's one of this settings ; 'Stop'-Start' or the 'Passing Through Elevation'. Not sure which but you could play around with them.

Hope this helps

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-06-15, 06:17 AM
Thanks for the replies guys.

Justin... I've tried associating the upper pad with a level above the cut plane and using the lower level with an offset and both have no effect. I've also mucked around with view range settings and nothing seems to fix it.

Firmso... the site settings are just for how the topo looks in section views, not how it gets cut in plan views. I did try all sorts of settings just to be sure and still no difference.

I've never run across this, probably because I've never had two pads with this sort of layout.
Odd. I'll use the filled region workaround for the time being unless someone else can find the answer.

dtownsend
2007-06-15, 11:59 AM
Even though you have tried playing with the view range settings...I would try drawing a plan region over the pad that is giving you trouble and try to adjust the view range of it and see if anything happens.

lqf1974
2007-06-15, 12:00 PM
The pads is hollow,turn it and you'll find it,that's why.

tomnewsom
2007-06-15, 12:53 PM
Yep. Pads remove the Topography they sit on, so your view which cuts underneath your taller pad cuts through the empty space beneath it. Strictly speaking, if it's not buried in the ground, it ain't a slab, it's a floor and should be modelled as such.

BMcCallum
2007-06-15, 05:35 PM
Dimitri brings up an issue I have often wished for, that being a site that is a solid object with depth. The site sections as if it was solid, why not display in 3D, too?

Of course, there are so many things we want fixed in the site tools, why stop there? ;-)

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-06-16, 04:45 PM
I only showed it above the grade to illustrate that the pads were at different elevations. This still happens if the pad is buried in the ground. (See the attached section)
So Tom, you're telling me that the pad creates a hole to the centre of the earth and the fact that it shows correctly in section is just an illusion ;) .
It's not a matter of it being a slab vs a pad. This situation would apply on a site where you had a number of cottages each with a different basement elevation. The basement plan of one unit should show the basement plan while the adjacent unit, at an elevation above the cut plane, should show the earth is section.
Bruce, I agree. That would also allow us to create tunnels as well. Great for some of the underground transit staions I've worked on.
The plan region didn't do the trick either. This one has me stumped. I'm asking the question on behalf of a client so I'll keep trying to find an answer.
Thanks

etboards17
2008-05-19, 08:40 PM
I guess I am resurfacing this post from waaay back, but I don’t think this issue has been resolved. I am working with a terraced situation and wondering why the earth beneath the pads is not showing up when displaying lower floors.

Do I still need to draw a filled region to solve this problem?

tomnewsom
2008-05-20, 10:44 AM
All they need to do is change the documentation.

"The slab tool is used for modelling situuations where you need to cap a bottomless hole in the planet"

:)