PDA

View Full Version : Crash Troubleshot

PaperStreet SoapCO
2007-06-15, 02:57 PM
Two things first: I'm not exactly sure where this post should go, so I'm putting it in general. Second, I don't know how many people this will apply to but since there seems to be some issues with RA2008 crashing I figure sharing this can't hurt.

My machine is a laptop running vista home premium with a nvidia go 7700 graphics card. I hadn't run into any issues with RA2008 previous to this machine but recently it had crashed once in a while since I got the new laptop ( I was lucky and able to recover every time). I did some research and found out that nVidia does not support laptop video GPUs that are beta or are WHQL updates. Its up to the OEM to provide these updates (which I find odd). In some cases these can be hard to get. If you can't get them from your OEM a solution would be to download the most up to date Forceware drivers and then a modded .inf file from a website such as http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/ that would allow windows to recognize the new driver and install it. Since I've updated the drivers from the OEM everything has been running sweet. And for all you Vista users, apparently the default video drivers that windows installs by default for the video card are ****. Since I've updated the drivers I've seen improvement in every graphical program I'm running. Also, I don't have to run a single thing in compatibility mode now.

I guess my nugget of knowledge to pass on is make sure video drivers are the most current and don't trust windows update - make sure its the most current from your OEM.

I hope this helps, even if it is just one other person.