PDA

View Full Version : Design Option Underlay

crarchitect
2007-06-19, 06:51 AM
Any design option experts out there?

Can you set an underlay view to display a different Design Option then the main view's Option? It seems like a practical request to refer to one Option as a loose guide for any new design work in another Option.

I provided a work around by overlaying two different Option views on a composite “working sheet” view, but we were unable to snap to the underlay. And finally I proposed we copy the pertinent Option 1 walls into Option 2 as a first step and then modify from there.

The request was really just to see the first Option as a guide. Any ideas?

aggockel50321
2007-06-19, 11:31 AM
You could export out option 1 view as a dwg file and then import and align the dwg file into option 2 view.

You'd have to manually update (re-export and reload the dwg) if something changed in option 1.

BMcCallum
2007-06-19, 03:02 PM
The view you underlay should be set up to display Option 1, not automatic. This is done in the Visibility/Graphics Overrides dialog for the view you are underlaying. Then, the underlay will always show Option 1, even if you are editing Option 2.

Hope this helps.

crarchitect
2007-06-19, 08:31 PM
Hey Kestrel, thank you for the tip. It sounded to good to be true, so I tested your method. It seems that Underlay is defined by a Level, not a particular view. Am I missing something? How can you define the view specific Design Option display for "Level 1"?

I do not think that will work. And yes Andrew, I even sponsored the idea that they might export an Option 1 dwg and link this into a Option 2 view, but that is a cumbersome work around. And, this method could quickly get out of date. Besides, who wants to use dwgs, anyway.

Thanks all for looking this over. This one remains an unsolved mystery for the time being. Any big brains out there want to suggest a legitimate reason why there is another / better way to achieve this Overlay Option goal?

Thanks,

carlosb.101393
2007-06-19, 08:47 PM
you just need to follow KestrelCADD directions, here is a snap shot of the property you need to change to have the specific view to display the specific design option.

comhasse
2007-06-19, 09:13 PM
...It seems that Underlay is defined by a Level, not a particular view. Am I missing something?...I think you're right
...How can you define the view specific Design Option display for "Level 1"?...I think you can't.

mabrey
2007-06-19, 09:22 PM
you just need to follow KestrelCADD directions, here is a snap shot of the property you need to change to have the specific view to display the specific design option.
That will only change the visibility of the main view, not the underlay view. You can't get the underlay view to be design option specific. I'm assuming crarchitect wants to be able to see "option1" for example while editing "option2." If the view settings are set to display "option 1" and you're editing "option 2," then any thing placed will not be visible. It would be nice to be able to underlay a specific view with all of its settings instead of different levels. One more thing for the wishlist :)

-Jon

BMcCallum
2007-06-19, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the replies, it may just be too good to be true. I tested it with a blank project and was able to get good results; sounds like time for more testing. :-)

I'm thinking some more about it, can you change the display options for the view before editing the option? I'm in an airport, no time....

gcare2000752792
2013-05-15, 07:40 PM
Six years later and we're still waiting on the Design Option Underlay/Overlay wishlist item to come through. The best workaround is exporting option 1 to dwg and linking it under option 2 so you can match option 2 to option 1.

patricks
2013-05-15, 08:58 PM
I think using a separate view aligned with your main view on a sheet would be a better option. Set up a separate view and have it show nothing but the underlay, or you could even just turn on the other option and set everything to halftone, then align them both on top of one another on a sheet. At least that way everything will stay updated in real time.