PDA

View Full Version : Revit drawing queries.

mspiller
2004-07-28, 03:29 PM
Hi, I'm totally new to Revit and just lookng for information before the possible purchase.
Is it possible to draw in Revit as you would in AutoCAD 2000. For example if I needed to draw a detailed shopfitting(eg: gondola) showing it's construction(Product Design) etc.. I'm told you can, however I can't seem to find ways of doing this in the help menu's?
Thanks
Mark, UK

sfaust
2004-07-28, 05:35 PM
I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are after. Are you wanting to just use it for industrial design/product design type things? Or are you wanting to insert this type of component and are worried about the level of detail?

Prodev75
2004-07-28, 05:48 PM
I personally haven’t ran into any problems drawing in using Revit like we use AutoCad. This means 2D, using detail components as blocks, lines as xrefs and event putting selected areas in Worksets. Of course you won’t have all the automated coordination features and lose most of the object intelligence. Coordination and build creation becomes sort of…..well….CADish. I believe the soul purpose of the software was to eliminate some of those tedious coordination chores and conflicts, we architects/designers face and allowing us to focus more on the design. This of course thinking architecturally.
Curious to here what everyone else thinks.

For the Record:
Using Revit to model and document machine parts is probably not a good idea.
L.F.

J. Grouchy
2004-07-28, 06:31 PM
I'm not clear on all the products available...but I think if you are looking to replace AutoCAD with software specifically geared towards Mechanical or ID products, you may prefer to look at Inventor.

gravelin
2004-07-29, 06:29 AM
If you want to create or manage the spaces (store etc..) , Revit is the good choise.
But if you want to produce what you put in the spaces, Inventor is better.

Yves