PDA

View Full Version : Reusing Curtain Walls as a window type

mzabritski
2007-06-19, 06:05 PM
If I create a non-type driven curtain wall (without spacing rules in the type family) and tweek the mullion layout so if is just right, is there a way to reuse that throughout the project? I know I can make a group of it and paste them into other walls, but what I would really like to do is create it and to be able to nest it in another curtain wall.

Any way to achieve this? I'm doing something similar with groups and curtain walls but not quite this. Any other ideas or work arounds?

sbrown
2007-06-19, 07:01 PM
The easiest is to make a curtain wall panel that has the design you want in it, including the internal mullions to the panel.

mzabritski
2007-06-19, 07:09 PM
Hi Scott,

I did try that method and it does work. The only problem is that I lose the nice grid / mullion features when doing that and it becomes more tedious to make the window. (Unless I'm doing it wrong?)

Thanks

c-hawk
2007-06-19, 07:16 PM
You can embed parameters in a panel family to allow a similar type of control.

comhasse
2007-06-19, 09:24 PM
...the nice grid / mullion features when doing that and it becomes more tedious to make the window. I've used this to model window for existing conditions on an old building with every window being slightly different and was amazed by the power and flexibility of Revit curtain walls. I then had the same thought as you: this would be great to have inside the family editor. I think it would greatly reduce the complexity of editing windows and come very close to that "window maker" people have been calling for. So, in my opinion, definitely a wishlist item!