PDA

View Full Version : Help with custom component and constraints!

WillE1984
2007-06-20, 02:19 PM
I need to create a component with an adjustable height. When the height changes the back bracing should as well. I have had a problem because I do not know how to constrain the back brace and maintain the same brace angle. See attached image.

Justin Marchiel
2007-06-20, 03:34 PM
i tell everyone that it is easiest to constrain a reference plane, then the geometry to the plane.

Try that and see what you get.

Justin

WillE1984
2007-06-21, 03:00 PM
I tried constraining the angled brace to an angled ref. plane but I did not know how to constrain the height of that angled ref. plane at the intersection of it and the front of the column. I have attached another image. The red lines represent the ref. planes. I circled in blue the area I am talking about. The height of the intersection of those two ref. planes needs to change based on the column height. I just can't seem to figure it out. Am I missing something obvious?

Justin Marchiel
2007-06-21, 04:18 PM
try a reference line instead of a plane.

justin

DoTheBIM
2007-06-21, 04:51 PM
I've tried similar object definition constraints and could not get it to work either... reference plane or reference line. I had to resort to trigonometry formulas. Revit doesn't seem very intuitive when it comes to angled contraints... depending on the application. I almost submitted this to factory, as it seems something could be improved greatly here, but I couldn't put it into words. Does anyone know of a tuturial or have an explanation to help with angular contraints like this?

aaronrumple
2007-06-21, 05:02 PM
Like this...

DoTheBIM
2007-06-21, 06:37 PM
That should work for Will. What if a user didn't care what the angle was but did want to define the width and length like attached. I happen to have a project that will have this application. It's funny I can accomplish this with reference planes and lines in a family (without locking anything) but not in a project I guess cause I don't have the reference line tool available in a project. even just trying to constrain a regular line gives me fits. First it's difficult/cumbersome to get it constrained and then when you do flex it... it doesn't obey it's constraints. It's like it the angle of the line has precedence over the constraints.

WillE1984
2007-06-21, 08:47 PM
Thanks! I had almost everything set up correctly. I also just discovered you can only align geometry to ref. planes in the draw mode.