PDA

View Full Version : WARNINGS! (just a few)

mabrey
2007-06-20, 08:43 PM
I recently received a model from one of our outside offices with the intent to clean it up and resolve any issues with it. The file size was over 100 megs so I knew it had to be a pretty large project. There were complaints that Revit was running slow, and that it took forever to load the model. There are two models: architectural with structural linked in as well as some dwg files. As I normally do first thing when I receive a model, I went to review the warnings (which nobody ever takes the time to resolve), and sure enough the menu was full of messages. I didn't know how full until I started expanding them, at which point I wanted to cry (see attachment). 1954 warnings!! :shock: Also, take a look at the highlighted warning. A warning about the number of warnings?

Anyway, this got me wondering how many of you out there are religious about checking your warnings, rather than ignoring them and letting them bloat like this. Oh, and don't even get me started on what was wrong with the coordination review in this model. :banghead:

-Jon

twiceroadsfool
2007-06-20, 08:58 PM
Im religious of checking it, having "unofficially" documented rediculous performance differences AND file sizes correlating to nothing other than the number of warnings in a model.

BTW, i have you beat. :) I had a model with 2400 a few months ago.

1400 of them were the same warning (Duplicate instances of the same object in the same place) because someone grouped and tried to copy both a curtain system, AND all its mullions, and it duplicated a LOT of mullions. I had 4 in each location, LOL...

Calvn_Swing
2007-06-20, 09:09 PM
Well, I try and instill religion in all my Reviteers, but it is usually a lost cause until they have to fix them on their own. We've never gotten above a 1000 though, I make sure of it. We usually start having resultant errors around the 400 mark, at which point someone on a project complains and I check the error log and then shake my finger at them. After they spend an hour cleaning up 400 unnecessary errors they usually don't repeat the problem. Whoever is the RPM (Revit Project Manager, not to mention the inevitable pun "Rev" it up!) usually does the dirty work, and then they make sure people clean up their own mistakes after that. We've even gone so far as to have a class specifically tailored to people in that position that covers all the nifty organization tools Revit has built into it.

Good stuff.

nnguyen
2007-06-21, 03:49 AM
I typical address the warnings when they come up, but as people mentioned, some people don't, so I usually take an hour or so a week to check up on the warnings. I am to the point that I make sure my team addresses the warnings (down to around +/- 6 warning categories), but there is always one person who doesn't and just ignores them. Hence the need for me to check every week.

I have both of you beat. a project in our office that everyone on the team ignored the warnings that came up. one warning says you have 3000+ of the same warning, another one said 1000+ of the same warnings, (and these you can't even ask Revit to show), and then there were around 300+ other warnings. I told them they need to clean up their file and pay attention to those warnings, so they started to, and they attempted to address the warnings they already compiled and I think they got down to around 1000...i think.:)

tjhernacki
2007-06-21, 02:55 PM
Hey I an idiot and new to Revit. But my system gives me the warning right at the time I do something stupid thats the time I address it. Are you guys talking about something different.

mabrey
2007-06-21, 03:13 PM
Yes. The yellow dialog warning box that pops up in the lower right of the screen is what we're talking about. If users don't address the issue right away (which seems to be common in my office), then they keep on piling up, and the PM or BIM coordinator has to go in and select Tools > Review Warnings to resolve all the issues.

-Jon

aargumaniz
2007-06-25, 05:21 PM
I'm pretty new to Revit as well, so after you look at the errors how do you get rid of them? Do you just show them and fix the lines or components?

I am the new Revit Manager her so if you have any tips for me that will be appreciated as well.

Revitator
2007-06-26, 11:52 AM
Yes, you just go through and fix them one by one.

Better to fix them when Revit first complains.

lhanyok
2007-06-26, 12:40 PM
Better to fix them when Revit first complains.

Not only better, but also a whole lot easier. It's a pain to go through and find each element by ID and then figure out what the original intention was in the model - especially when it just "mysteriously happened" because no one wants to admit that they created the problem to get a warning and ignored it.

clog boy
2007-06-26, 01:02 PM
I work with fairly small projects, so warnings are either irrelevant or easy to resolve in my case.

@Mabrey: you should've cried "IT'S OVER NINE-THOUSAAAAAAAAAAAND!" That would've turned some heads. ^^

stefan.hokuf
2007-06-26, 10:10 PM
I'm still waiting for a definitive answer to whether or not all these errors really affect the speed of the file or not... While I tend to believe that when they reach a certain number they do, I haven't seen anything to confirm that this is true.

Personally I think there should be some sort of an override or way to remove errors that you know about. How can you resolve ones like 'linework may be at an inaccurate angle? Yeah, I know the line is not orthogonal but there's nothing I can do about it!