PDA

View Full Version : Butt glaze window condition

mmenendez
2007-06-21, 01:55 PM
I can't get this window family to work out. I've attached a revit file of the window family and then below it is what I want it to look like. Thanks in advance!

ajayholland
2007-06-21, 03:03 PM
Briefly, I use imbedded curtain walls for these conditions, placing the centerline of the curtain wall at the face of the host wall to create a clear opening. The offset value of the curtain panel controls the position of the glazing relative to the frame. You’ll need to create a new glazing panel to control the joining of the two panels.

~AJH

mmenendez
2007-06-21, 04:26 PM
Thanks ajholland! I will have to work with that technique a bit. I'm having trouble with the curtain wall embed option not showing up cleanly.

sbrown
2007-06-21, 08:51 PM
a much better option is to just click on the glass and change it to a wall called Glazing, set to 1". It will clean up perfectly.

ajayholland
2007-06-21, 09:09 PM
Right, Scott. The difference would be whether there is a need to show the glazing frame, for which the mullions would serve.

To embed any wall within another, use the cut geometry tool.

~AJH

comhasse
2007-06-21, 09:23 PM
Right, Scott. The difference would be whether there is a need to show the glazing frame, for which the mullions would serve.

To embed any wall within another, use the cut geometry tool.

~AJH
You can select just the panels, not the whole curtain wall, then switch them to a basic wall type instead of system panels, and the corner will clean up nicely. (Great tip, Scott!) You can then still place mullions around the edges to show a frame.

sbrown
2007-06-22, 01:40 PM
Exactly, the only downside to doing this is the line weight is the wall lineweight not glazing so you have to overide it.

dgraue
2007-06-22, 04:25 PM
If you need to set the frame of the curtain wall in from the exterior the corner of the basic wall does not cut. How do you "recess" a buttglazed corner window embedded in a host wall?

bgauthier
2007-06-22, 05:01 PM
I'm wondering something. I'm trying to figure out how to draw the curtain walls. From what I see, when you draw the wall from outside the foundation wall, it will always be on the outside of the wall. What is the setting that I'm missing here to have the mullions to butt a little bit inside?

Hope my question is clear.

comhasse
2007-06-22, 05:22 PM
I'm wondering something. I'm trying to figure out how to draw the curtain walls. From what I see, when you draw the wall from outside the foundation wall, it will always be on the outside of the wall. What is the setting that I'm missing here to have the mullions to butt a little bit inside?

Hope my question is clear.
I'm not sure if that's what you mean but there is a type parameter called "offset" in curtain panels and mullions which defines the element's offest from the curtain wall's centerline.

bgauthier
2007-06-22, 05:46 PM
OK. So when you draw the mullions you can give it any offset. But what about the Curtain glass wall. If you draw it from the outside of the foundation, it will be alright when you change a part of the curtain wall to be the same as the rest of the wall (let's say brick). It will be offset if you draw the curtain wall aligned with the center of the wall. This is what I'm trying to figure out.

dgraue
2007-06-22, 05:53 PM
I'm not sure if that's what you mean but there is a type parameter called "offset" in curtain panels and mullions which defines the element's offest from the curtain wall's centerline.

The problem with that method is that the mullions and panels are very touchy. If you make adjustments to it's size or configuration sometime later it is very unpredictable what will happen, but usually it gets very messy.

sbrown
2007-06-22, 06:22 PM
You just need to play with the offsets to understand them. Basically every panel, every mullion and every wall insert has its own offset parameter. So just start with a basic curtain wall in plan, add some mullions, swap out some panels, then play with the parameters. Once you have the offsets the way you want them your done. The stock content is based on Kawneer 451 and 1600 systems for what its worth. Thats where the 1 1/4" offset comes from. It may not actually be kawneer but if you grab a kawneer dwg and load it inot the mullion detail component its a match.

dgraue
2007-06-22, 08:47 PM
You just need to play with the offsets to understand them. Basically every panel, every mullion and every wall insert has its own offset parameter. So just start with a basic curtain wall in plan, add some mullions, swap out some panels, then play with the parameters. Once you have the offsets the way you want them your done. The stock content is based on Kawneer 451 and 1600 systems for what its worth. Thats where the 1 1/4" offset comes from. It may not actually be kawneer but if you grab a kawneer dwg and load it inot the mullion detail component its a match.

I have a problem with the glass overlapping at the corner when it is offset. If I change the glazing panel out to a basic glass wall I have the same problem with the corner and the glass cuts through the mullions too.

comhasse
2007-06-22, 08:54 PM
You can use the trim tool on those two "basic glass wall panels" independently of the curtain wall.

dgraue
2007-06-22, 09:14 PM
You can use the trim tool on those two "basic glass wall panels" independently of the curtain wall.

Yes, but the corners do not clean up for some reason and the edit wall joins tool does not give an option to clean join, only to allow or disallow join. If I join geometry, it is better but still not a clean corner. Also, if later I need to change the offset from 4" to 3" for example, these walls default back to the overlap problem. This becomes an issue to fix on larger projects where you have many corner windows similar to this.

dbaldacchino
2007-06-22, 11:18 PM
You could add another gridline on both pieces of curtain wall, take the vertical mullions out, move the grids so they coincide at the glazing butt joint and then change the small remaining end pieces of curtain panel to "empty". This might work if your location line is on the inside of the curtainwall and not the outside; otherwise you'll have to live with the horizontal mullions not cleaning up. I'm changing the curtainwall location line to be on the inside (by changing the offsets of mullions and curtain panels) because that's where the room area is bound (they don't behave like walls).

Another option is to do a custom curtain panel with a parameter for an edge offset. Substitute the end panel from a system panel to this custom panel and specify the offset until your glazing butt joint is to your liking.

sbrown
2007-06-25, 12:49 PM
Then you need to create a glazed panel with an offset parameter at each grid lines so you can use it for corner conditions where you need to control the panels endpoints.