PDA

View Full Version : Extremely detailed CAD block import

patricks
2007-06-21, 03:07 PM
I have some CAD blocks of various large equipment that I need to show in my plan. The CAD block for one piece of equipment contains over 33,000 (!!!) elements. I attempted to create a detail component family by importing the CAD file and exploding, but Revit won't let me explode more than 10,000 elements.

The CAD file for that single block is over 1 MB, and I'm afraid if I just link that into the project several times, it will make my project file overly sluggish.

Are there any other options besides manually going into the CAD file and deleting some various lines here and there to simplify the block?

aaronrumple
2007-06-21, 03:13 PM
A. Run overkill on the file in AutoCAD. This will probably reduce the complexity.
B. Are there elements in the file that can be erased? Is there too much detail for the drawings you will be producing?
C. Do you need to explode the file? Or could it just be left as an import in the family?

twiceroadsfool
2007-06-21, 03:14 PM
Maybe do like the Factory did for the OOTB Curtain Wall Mullions...

Load the ACAD block in to a Specialty Equipment Family Plan (but dont explode it), and make it only show up at Medium or Fine levels of detail. Then just trace the perimeter of it with the symbolic lines, to be visile at coarse levels.

We used to explode CAD stuff here too, but gave that up when we started to see how ugly it was making the Revit files... With line styles, hatch patterns... Ugh...

patricks
2007-06-21, 03:22 PM
A. Run overkill on the file in AutoCAD. This will probably reduce the complexity.
B. Are there elements in the file that can be erased? Is there too much detail for the drawings you will be producing?
C. Do you need to explode the file? Or could it just be left as an import in the family?

What is overkill? Is that a command?

Yes it is extremely detailed. It's some kind of large pump motor w/ tank and it has every bolt, nut, fitting, pipe, hose, etc. drawn.

aaronrumple
2007-06-21, 04:04 PM
Overkill is an AutoCAD command that deletes overlapping lines and duplicate objects. Most AutoCAD files are very sloppy.

You could also filter out lines below a certain length using the quick select tool and delete them.

patricks
2007-06-21, 04:09 PM
overfill is the command? My ADT didn't recognize that command, and I can't find anything about it in the help file, either.

aaronrumple
2007-06-21, 04:18 PM
It is part of the bouns tools. Or express tools. Depending on the version of AutoCAD or ADT you have.

mruehr
2007-06-22, 12:09 AM
its overkill isnt it?
kills lines over the other

rjcrowther
2007-06-22, 10:37 AM
My understanding is typing onekill at the command line doesn't do anything. I wonder if it is an old command that has been changed to something else

To kill lines in the way mentioned you need to go to the express menu, modify and it should be obvious from there.

Rob