PDA

View Full Version : Beam Display in Plan - hidden lines

J-G
2003-07-08, 03:25 AM
I am having a little problem with getting the beams above to display dashed on my floor plans. Example: a beam drawn at a level set 8' - 1" above the floor level does not show up. I have changed the visibility settings but noting seems to work. The beams just don't show up at all if they are above the level - which obviously they are.

Am I missing somthing simple? My next thought would be to create a generic family, but I MUST be missing somthing.

beegee
2003-07-08, 06:00 AM
Use ' View Properties ', check the box for 'show level above'. Your beams should be visible in half tone. Using the linework tool, with the linework set to your choice ( hidden, above etc ), select the beam. Turn off ' show level above' from 'View Properties'. Your beam line will remain visible on the plan and will move with the beam. ( because it is actually the beam, not a drafting line )

beegee

Taylor A
2003-07-08, 06:41 AM
I would also check the detail level.....you know.... "coarse, medium or fine".

J-G
2003-07-09, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the reply beegee. It seems like a slight work around, but I suppose it may actually allow more flexibility, i.e. if you don't want to show one of the beams above.

gregcashen
2003-07-09, 04:05 AM
It's not a work around. That is one of the very flexible ways that Revit allows you to display things parametrically that you would otherwise not see. Revit shows or hides things based on their visibility settings and the view range. In this case, the items in question are out of the view range and do not show up on the plans. They WOULD show up on the reflected ceiling plan, but that is not what you're after. Therefore, in order to show the beam, you have to "color it" a bit, i.e. use some linework to get them to override the view range. Keep in mind, linework is view specific and retains the parametricity (is that a real word?) of the model.

You are right about it allowing for more flexibility in that if Revit decided to show items above the view range for you, you would always have light fixtures on your floor plans unless you changed the visibility settings. You also would not want overhead cabinets to show up as solid lines on top of the base cabinets...confusing.