PDA

View Full Version : Phase Filters

charlessaliba
2004-07-29, 12:44 AM
I have created a new phase in the 'Project Phases' tab of the Phasing dialog box. However it seems that I do not have any control whatsoever over the new phase I created in the 'Phase Filters' and 'Graphic Overrides' tab. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

beegee
2004-07-29, 01:53 AM
Keep in mind what J McGrew said in an earlier post about phases, - that a phase is actually a range of time, not a point in time, and each phase can show what happens at its beginning, middle and end.

The phase setting represents the view of that phase and the phase filter then sets whether you're seeing things at the beginning ( prior + demo), middle (prior + new ) or end (show complete )

Having established what you will need to show, setup some elemants and views to check that the display works the way you need it to.

All this sounds more complex than it really is.

Steve_Stafford
2004-07-29, 06:04 AM
Here’s my spin….

Imagine we are walking toward a white fence. Around us we see objects and they all look shiny and new. Except some objects look damaged. We can also see a brown fence behind us in the distance and everything behind that fence too, though with some difficulty. We can also see some of those objects are damaged. We slip over the white fence and notice that everything here is shiny and new now yet everything behind the white fence has changed.

Since we’ve climbed over the white fence and walked a bit we can now clearly see a blue fence ahead of us. We can’t see anything beyond it but when we climb over it we have a sense of déjà vu, everything here looks shiny and new while some of the stuff behind the fence we just crossed now looks damaged and everything else looks less bright.

As we approach each fence ahead and climb over….this same scenario repeats. Once we get beyond a fence everything looks the same behind the fences we crossed before this one. Except the damaged stuff does seem to be missing beyond the previous fences to the one we just crossed.

Just to make this seem all the more like “The Twilight Zone”…we haven’t actually gone anywhere. We are still standing in the same spot even though we’ve walked for miles…and climbed a bunch of fences. We’ve just watched a project travel through time before our eyes…but without the fences we might not have noticed the changes as plainly.

With a View’s Current Phase setting we tell Revit which fence we stand behind so it can display things differently. With an object’s Phase Created and Phase Demolished setting we tell Revit before which fence it was created and/or demolished. Finally, with Phase Filters we tell Revit how to change the way objects appear in a View with regard to the current phase.

beegee
2004-07-29, 06:14 AM
............. and I thought my post sounded more complex than it really is.......

( just kidding SS - Nice explanation. No really . )

Scott Hopkins
2004-07-29, 05:56 PM
Steve,

What are you smoking? That was really far out! In an attempt to out do you, I am going to give you my understanding of phasing. This little story should make Revit phasing crystal clear....

Imagine a preacher is standing before his congregation holding up a picture of someone. Reaching high above his head with the picture so that everyone can see he boldly proclaims,

"Bothers and Sisters I have none! But this man's father is my father's son!"

Once you are able to deduce who is in the picture that the preacher is holding than you will truly understand the Zen Revit of phasing.
:Puffy:

Steve_Stafford
2004-07-29, 06:12 PM
Sorry don't smoke, it's BAD for you! But I did enjoy a TZ marathon very recently... It seemed appropriate when trying to "explain" phasing because what we see all depends on the fences we stand between... Ironic for me, I hated creative writing class...can you tell? ;)

ita
2004-07-30, 05:32 AM
Steve, maybe you hated creative writing because creatively, you were beyond anything the class and teacher could ever hope to creatively imagine. . . . now we have climbed over the white picket fence . . . what happens next????

Oh look there is a white rabbit . . . wearing a waist coat and . . . a fob watch?