PDA

View Full Version : Is revit for me?

designer56644
2003-07-08, 06:16 AM
Hello All :)

I am almost through with the tutorials in a demo copy and I am strongly considering buying the program. I like it alot, and I think I'm "getting-it".
I have one major concern...

As a start-up residential design firm (mostly custom, some stock), I get one crack at a software package. I have a background using acad and adt, and as an autocad user convert to adt bim guy, i find the latest release of adt to be an 800lb gorilla at best. I can't believe how cumbersome and complicated it is to set up and model in. I do not have that kind of time.

With Revit I feel like I can breath when I'm using it. But I really---really would like some un-biased opinions on it's reputed weaknesses. That is, detailing sec's/elev, and elec., etc. CD's.

CD's are my lifeblood, and I need to be productive.

Thanks for any opinions, insights or pointers to previous threads.

Bill

beegee
2003-07-08, 08:17 AM
I don't know about unbiased :) , but heres my 2c.

I use Revit for everything from residential additions to large retirement villages and commercial work. I would never NEVER go back to my old CAD programmes ( no not ADT, ... but I wont mention them because I dont want to get involved in that sort of discussion ). Reason - there is nothing I've found that even comes close to Revit for modelling and production and presentation. Sure you might find indivaidual programmes that do one as well as or even a bit better, but not all three in the one package IMHO.
I also run a lean mean machine and cannot afford to make a mistake with software. ( I dont think the big firms can either )
If your search the threads in this and other ngs, you will find plenty of comments about how Revits detailing may even be faster than vanilla cad. I've certainly not had any problems with detailing.
Re sections, well they rock ! There is no disconnect between the section and the model as found in some other so called BIM programmes.
Electrical plans are easy too. I think you could find some sample drawings to view if you want to check that out further.

Yes, CDs are the lifeblood of any building practice. Having said that, there are plenty of firms still producing CDs with " difficult " CAD software ( again no names ), so it really depends what you get used to, or in some cases - stuck with. :cry: You've already tried out Revit so you must have a good idea how easy it is. The easier - the faster - the more productive.

Just a relatively bised opinion.

beegee

Henry D
2003-07-08, 02:36 PM
Have no fear... and get Revit, it's great for CD's. I am a one man firm which used Autocad/ADT for custom residential and light commercial. My first Revit project (design and CD's) came in on budget - same amount of time as it was taking me to do the job with ADT which I had been using for two years. That's pretty good when you consider I was learning as I was drawing - my hours included the time I was bugging the nice people on this site with questions. I am whipping through my next project and I am only getting faster.

Don't get me wrong - I find that no matter how easy they say a program is to learn, for me the transition to a new software is never simple and can be frustrating at times. Also, there are features in Revit that need improvement (see wishlist). But overall Revit is a super CAD program and worth it. The best thing I can say about using Revit vs. ADT is that with ADT I used CAD because I had to and now I do it because I want to - Revit is addicting.

designer56644
2003-07-08, 07:15 PM
beegee, Henry, thank you both.
Your answers shed some light on my dark concerns.

BTW, I think this forum rocks;
You guys are real world users just like me...wow.
I've also been watching the posts for a couple of weeks, and everything seems so cool in here. I hope it stays this way.

Cheers to the 198 members at this fine, fine forum, and of course
C.Zoog.