PDA

View Full Version : Lighting in an enclosed area ... how to?

Rico
2007-06-25, 07:25 PM
So I understand what light glyphs are and how they are set up. But what I can't seem to understand is what settings to use for indoor settings ... so far they're either too dark or dazzlingly bright.

Isn't there an in between where I can have my ake and eat it too?

ronie_ernanto
2007-06-27, 01:40 PM
( You don't mention what ver did you use, so I guess you use 2007 )

This is what I did.....
with 4x4 meter room and 3 meter ceiling height, I usually use 4 main pointlight ( with shadow : on) and intensity about 0.2 - 0.25. Attenuation type : Inverse linear, Use limits : no. I usually put those lights 2-5 cm beyond the ceiling, add another 4 pointlights at 2 m height from floor and another 4 pointlights at 1 m. Intensity of those 8 lights use lower than 4 main pointlights and shadow MUST SET TO OFF.The idea of those 8 lights is to create same bright condition in all over the room. If still too dark you can add another 8 ( 2 in every side of the room) pointlights in outside the room (of course with shadow set to off).
Here I attach the sampe ( study it well and tomorrow you get examination...:) )

You must try to move those light to get the best lighting condition ( Experience still the best teacher...)

Good luck and have a nice experience...

Rico
2007-06-27, 02:01 PM
( You don't mention what ver did you use, so I guess you use 2007 )

This is what I did.....
with 4x4 meter room and 3 meter ceiling height, I usually use 4 main pointlight ( with shadow : on) and intensity about 0.2 - 0.25. Attenuation type : Inverse linear, Use limits : no. I usually put those lights 2-5 cm beyond the ceiling, add another 4 pointlights at 2 m height from floor and another 4 pointlights at 1 m. Intensity of those 8 lights use lower than 4 main pointlights and shadow MUST SET TO OFF.The idea of those 8 lights is to create same bright condition in all over the room. If still too dark you can add another 8 ( 2 in every side of the room) pointlights in outside the room (of course with shadow set to off).
Here I attach the sampe ( study it well and tomorrow you get examination...:) )

You must try to move those light to get the best lighting condition ( Experience still the best teacher...)

Good luck and have a nice experience...one of the problems I've been facing is that when I try to add lights outside of a closed room, the room gets dark ....really dark and the render turns out terrible. what's the secret that I don't understand here?

ronie_ernanto
2007-06-28, 12:42 PM
one of the problems I've been facing is that when I try to add lights outside of a closed room, the room gets dark ....really dark and the render turns out terrible. what's the secret that I don't understand here?

Not forget to set those lights shadow to OFF ?

Or can you send us the file?

Here I add the outside lights, the result is slightly brighter.

Rico
2007-06-28, 01:48 PM
Not forget to set those lights shadow to OFF ?

Or can you send us the file?

Here I add the outside lights, the result is slightly brighter.well ... it's not a FILE that's the issue ... it's ME! I don't know what I'm doing! hahahahaha. any file will be fine if the user knows what he's doing .... me .... i'm clueless on #D lighting ..... hehehehe. but thanks for the tips. I'll go and try it once things here die down again and I'll let y'all know what transpired.

ronie_ernanto
2007-07-10, 12:36 PM
It will be simplier if you use 2008, just using 1 or 2 light sources, turn on GI and Final Gather option, and your room will be bright enough.

Rico
2007-07-10, 12:42 PM
It will be simplier if you use 2008, just using 1 or 2 light sources, turn on GI and Final Gather option, and your room will be bright enough.Thanks for the tips ... we're still on 2006 here. We have 2007 and about half the office uses it right now.

2008 would be sweet .... i'm gonna go bug management ...