PDA

View Full Version : changing Phases of elements

ws
2007-06-26, 06:14 PM
Doing the things beginners do :roll: I created my existing building with every element phased as 'New Construction'.

Changing it all back to 'Existing' was sufficiently tiresome to stop me doing it again ;) but I did notice some odd things.

In place families for example created in walls for niches and the like didn't change phase with the wall and I could not pick them directly or by filter.. unless I am missing something?
For some I deleted the wall and created it again as 'Existing'

Is this the only way to get in place families to work with host walls that have their phase changed, please? Or have I missed a method of altering their phase created?

twiceroadsfool
2007-06-26, 06:38 PM
I would have left it all as New Construction... And just made a Phase 2, lol...

ws
2007-06-26, 06:51 PM
Lateral thinking isn't my strength :roll: .. besides,

most of my projects don't get as far as a 'Phase 2' ;)

richelleharp
2007-06-26, 06:51 PM
I just did the same thing, geez! To create a more tangled mess I saved the whole thing as a new file (slaps self).

ron.sanpedro
2007-06-26, 06:56 PM
Doing the things beginners do :roll: I created my existing building with every element phased as 'New Construction'.

Changing it all back to 'Existing' was sufficiently tiresome to stop me doing it again ;) but I did notice some odd things.

In place families for example created in walls for niches and the like didn't change phase with the wall and I could not pick them directly or by filter.. unless I am missing something?
For some I deleted the wall and created it again as 'Existing'

Is this the only way to get in place families to work with host walls that have their phase changed, please? Or have I missed a method of altering their phase created?

I did that once. Then I made a new template that included Plan views for New, Existing and Demo and set the phasing accordingly, and elevations and sections prebuilt as Existing. Now as long as you actually do Existing work in the Existing plan, you never need worry. The next step is a Project Browser filter that only shows the Existing views, so when I am jumping back and forth between views there is no chance of getting into the wrong plan and building stuff wrong.

Gordon

ws
2007-06-26, 07:05 PM
Making a template as you describe is a good idea Gordon, thanks.

Amazing how many things there are to customise even in Revit.

I would imagine those of us without the benefit of a cad manager to organise these things, like to tweak to get display and presentation just how we want it?

There's a whole thread lurking there somewhere on 'how I customise Revit' :)

richelleharp
2007-06-26, 07:37 PM
I did that once. Then I made a new template that included Plan views for New, Existing and Demo and set the phasing accordingly, and elevations and sections prebuilt as Existing. Now as long as you actually do Existing work in the Existing plan, you never need worry. The next step is a Project Browser filter that only shows the Existing views, so when I am jumping back and forth between views there is no chance of getting into the wrong plan and building stuff wrong.

Gordon
Great thinking. Thanks.

VinceFerrero
2007-06-26, 07:57 PM
Then I made a new template that included Plan views for New, Existing and Demo...
I also like to include views called "Co-Ordination" which shows all phases.

ws
2007-06-26, 09:23 PM
The one that I would also add is 'Completion' for client presentations.

ron.sanpedro
2007-06-26, 09:39 PM
I also like to include views called "Co-Ordination" which shows all phases.

And has a filter that makes all rated items red, etc. I think views that never get to a sheet are very much underused, and mostly out of habit.

Gordon

Justin Marchiel
2007-06-26, 11:11 PM
Lateral thinking isn't my strength :roll: .. besides,

most of my projects don't get as far as a 'Phase 2' ;)

you can rename the phase and combine them with others, so there is no problems with that.

Justin