PDA

View Full Version : Mulling over Mullions

bowlingbrad
2007-06-27, 04:12 PM
We have a situation where we would like to have the 'border' mullions in a curtain system shifted inside of the bondary of the curtain system to allow for the sealant joints. Below are captures of coarse and fine detail views of the same system. Moving the mullions within the mullion profile family seems to have no effect. Any suggestions?

EDIT: The only way we have found to do this is to create the jamb mullions bigger than an actual mullion (to include the joint) This just doesn't seem correct.
EDIT: New image added of the 'fake' jamb mullion.

aaronrumple
2007-06-27, 04:16 PM
You'll need to cut the opening in the wall to the size you want manually, rather than letting the curtain wall cut the opening.

bowlingbrad
2007-06-27, 04:23 PM
You'll need to cut the opening in the wall to the size you want manually, rather than letting the curtain wall cut the opening.

ARGHHHH! NO!!!!! Oh, the humanity! Tell me it isn't so, Aaron!

RodneyLester
2007-06-27, 04:23 PM
Below is a post I posted earlier... Your issue is one I brought up years ago with the factory.

As a custom curtain wall manufacturer that has been watching the development of Revit for about 4 years, I have yet to switch to Revit due to the complexity of our curtain wall systems and the project types that we do. We currently use Autocad.

During my early evaluation of Revit during the 2004 calender year, I was trying to some sample work with the curtain walls and found that it lack a lot of functionality. While at AU 2004 in Vegas I had some extensive conversations with Matt Jezyk, one of the Revit developers. He acknowledged many of the things I pointed out and asked me to summarize some of the things I thought the curtainwall feature needed and to send him an email. The attached .dwf file was the result. Not to claim that I had any direct say in how the product was developed, but after you review the .dwf you can see that they listen, whether it was me or many others requesting improvements to the curtainwall feature.

Just an example of some improvements in the last 5 years.

bowlingbrad
2007-06-27, 04:30 PM
Thanks Rodney, and yes I did read your post. I just wanted to use the term "Oh, the humanity" once in my life. Heehee :lol:

Thanks!

bowlingbrad
2007-06-27, 04:34 PM
I'm a cheater.

In the mullion profile family I made a tiny "goiter" protrusion the length of the joint. It works for now...

chris.macko125036
2007-06-27, 08:55 PM
I made a curtain panel to act as my sealant. that way it can flex a little if I need an atypical joint size and it won't draw with the heavy line of the mullion. All you have to do is set an offset when you draw the curtain wall, or justify to center if you have an even number of bays.

dpollard909366
2007-12-12, 12:54 AM
jhow bout you just make the cut profile not visible in plan views. then you will just see the detail component