PDA

View Full Version : Relocate a linked project

DaveP
2007-06-27, 07:38 PM
We've got two linked projects. A Main building and a Parking Ramp. We have used Shared Coordinates in both.

Now that the survey came back, we find out that we need to move the Ramp 5 feet closer to the Main building. What's the best way to accomplish this? I can't physically move the entire building, because it will screw up all of my annotation.

I tried to Relocate This Project on the Ramp & moved it 5 feet, but it's still in the same place in the Main. Do I need to move each of the Links in each of the parent projects?

chodosh
2007-06-27, 10:05 PM
There are a few things you can do to resolve the shift. Someone please check me if I fail to explain this well enough or am off track. The easiest is since your two files are already set up in relationship to each other by Shared Coordinates, you can move the RVT Link of the Parking Ramp in your Main Building file and when you Save (if not in a worksharing environment) or Save To Central (if you are worksharing) you will be prompted to save the changed location. Or vice-versa, just know that this is establishing only the relationship between the two buildings, and is not necessarily concurrent with their placement on the site. The other alternative is to move the RVT Link into place and Acquire coordinates from it, but you can only do this once from my experience.

However, based on successful workflow in our office and how Revit suggests you do this, there is another stratefy that I would suggest that can make things go smoothly, as follows:

Create a new file and call it Site or Site Coordinates, Site Survey (this is really up to you). This will be a very simple file, probably no more than a single DWG Link and a few Reference Planes and does not need to be worksharing enabled.
Next, in this new file in your elevation, create a new Level, or rename Level 1, and name it something indicating your base elevation common to all buildings or a known elevation (e.g. EL + 15.00). You can ignore this step, but I have found that I like to have a View for each Level of my site for coordination, especially large campus projects. You may only need one for this exercise at some common elevation for both files.
Once that is done, you can then Link your site survey DWG's from your Site/Civil consultant into that View. If there are multiple files, I would prepare a single file of everything bound together in AutoCAD before you import anything and then use that one file (this would assure that all of the AutoCAD files align with the same Origin, no chance for shifting around in Revit if their coordinates are more than 2 miles from the Revit origin). More on the origin of Revit here (http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?t=53478&highlight=coordinates).
Then, if you know a coordinate point in their drawings, pick that in Revit and go to Tools > Shared Coordinates > Specify Coordinates at a Point and type in the X and Y (E and N) and the correct elevation to match your View name (e.g. EL + 15.00).If you don't know a N/E coordinate point, you can skip this step.
Next, Link your two Revit models (not by Shared Coordinates) and move them into place, both in plan and elevation.
Finally, once the two models are happily situated, you can then Publish coordinates to each model.
The big advantage to this method is not only that the relationships are established and managed outside of your working building models from one single location, but that you can now export your DWG's by Shared Coordinates back to your Site/Civil consultant for coordination and everything should theorhetically overlay nicely (units may be tricky, but easily resolved).

HTH,
LC