PDA

View Full Version : Best way to represent a mass of water?

Dave F.
2007-06-28, 01:27 AM
Hi

I'm modelling a harbour side development & would like to model the volume of water (I will be cutting many sections through it).
Any recommendations on the best way to do this?
I don't need to schedule it so would a mass be better than say an extrusion? Or is there a better way?

Your advice would be appreciated.

Cheers
Dave F.

Steve_Stafford
2007-06-28, 02:10 AM
If you need a "volume" that can be cut and be persistent in your views then consider an In-Place Generic Model family assigned to a sub-category you make called "Site-Water". Extrude in plan along the coastline and give it an appropriate depth. Then assign a material to the solid etc... You could also use a flat toposurface with a different material assignment if you don't need a real "cut", just poche.

rupertv
2007-06-28, 06:50 AM
I've created a "floor" with the same properties as mentioned above...what i've found is that you can give it a cut pattern, surface pattern and as you;re not scheduling it, there should be no problems...

clog boy
2007-06-28, 12:48 PM
as you;re not scheduling it
What if you would?
I'd say sloped terrain and subregion would do nice for beach effect. (see attachment)

Blam. Another 10 minutes of my bosses' time for teh union!

Dave F.
2007-06-28, 01:12 PM
just poche.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does poche mean?

Is this an Architectural term? (I'm Structures & from the UK).
I can't find anything about it on Google.

Steve_Stafford
2007-06-28, 01:53 PM
poche = hatch...yes architectural usage and it is pronounced poshay, pochee as I heard someone once say recently. I believe it is a French term.

Gadget Man
2007-06-29, 01:19 AM
poche = hatch...yes architectural usage and it is pronounced poshay, pochee as I heard someone once say recently. I believe it is a French term.From Answers.com (http://www.Answers.com): "poché - in an architectural drawing, the blackened portions representing solids."

Interestingly enough, only two days ago I was talking about it with my friends in France and they said that poché refers rather to... certain way of cooking the eggs... Eh, these French food lovers... ;)