PDA

View Full Version : a problematic glazed roof....

rupertv
2007-06-28, 06:31 AM
I'm trying to generate a curtain system from the attached mass....its for a atrium roof...now generating the mass was easy enough...generating the curtain system is easy enough....but to get a curtain system that has a curtain grid that i want and not what revit thinks its should be...now THERE lies the problem...

the file is a 9.1 version, as our upgrades have not arrived yet, so apologies for not being 100% up to date...

any help/suggestion/comments would be really appreciated...

thanks...

R

lev.lipkin
2007-06-28, 01:59 PM
Please consider editing blend in mass and splitting top sketch (circle) by Split tool at points where you want your curtain lines to go. Repeat on base sketch (if needed).Use Vertex Connectivity tool (in design bar of top or base sketches) if Revit deduces connectivity in undesired way.

rupertv
2007-07-03, 02:00 PM
thanks for the reply..and sorry for my late reply...it still doesnt allow me the flexibility i need...for now the geometry will be developed, but this is definitely a dead-end that i have hit in terms of glazing geometry in revit...

Scott D Davis
2007-07-03, 02:05 PM
How do you want it to look? Post a sketch and maybe we can take a look for you.

rupertv
2007-07-04, 08:29 AM
I've attached a pic of the roof structure...its not very complicated as such...a radiating "spiderweb"....

thanks for the help...its much appreciated...at this rate i'm looking at modeling the panels individually to suit the structure below it...

cheers,

R

Scott D Davis
2007-07-04, 07:28 PM
I can produce something very close to that. Your horizontal mullions are curved in your sketch. In Revit and presumably when you build it, they will be straight segments, not curved, unless you have a huge budget for this atrium roof! :-) see attached, which was created byu making the arc'd, slope-topped mass first, then Curtain systems by face. Only took a few minutes to make the mass, and one click to create the curtain system.

rupertv
2007-07-05, 06:51 AM
thanks for the response...once again...

how did you build the mass in the 1st place? it seems that might be where my model is falling flat...

and with regards to the "curved" mullions...they are in fact straight segments...i guess the visual illusion works then...hehehe...

thanks in advance for all the help...

Rupert

Scott D Davis
2007-07-05, 05:36 PM
I built a mass with an extrusion first, that is the shape of the area for the glazing in plan. Then I created a void sweep, that used the arc as the path, and the profile was the angle of the sloped glazing. This chopped the top off at an angle. Then I made another void extrusion, which chopped off the outside edge of the mass at the curve which is not concentric with the inside arc. Then I finished the Mass, then I applied Curtain System by Face.

rupertv
2007-07-06, 02:33 PM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for all the help...I got the roof built following yr approach. I got to a usable end result. The only problem with it is the fact that "inner" ring is at a constant height and the "outer" ring is at a varying height. The solution we're looking at is where both the "inner" and "outer" rings are at a constant height, even though the glazing in between is sloping. For now, what i have is usable, but i'll keep trying....

Thanks again for all the help...

Cheers,

Rupert