PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put your annotations?

gmak
2004-07-29, 07:11 PM
I'm wondering where people suggest putting their drawing annotations (notes)? On the "view" or on the "sheet"? where do you see the pros and cons of the different approaches?

aaronrumple
2004-07-29, 07:40 PM
View.

Because I hate switching back and forth between sheets and views.

bclarch
2004-07-29, 07:55 PM
I agree with Aaron. You also don't have to worry about tracking down lost notes if someone re-arranges the views on the sheet.

kshawks
2004-07-29, 07:57 PM
I put about 95% of the notes in the view. There are times when you just have to put a note on the sheet, but not many.

tjk0225
2004-07-30, 04:50 AM
I think that the 'view specific' notes should be in the view. One of the things I like about Revit is the WYSIWYG aspect of the views - no more messing around with layers, model/paper space, dimension scales, etc. When you are working on the floor plan, what you see is how the floor plan will look on the sheet.

My rule of thumb (ACAD or Revit) - if it relates to the model/view it goes in the view, if it relates more to the sheet layout (i.e. - lists of notes, tables, etc.) it goes in the sheet. In Revit I will put short lists or notes in the sheet. Longer lists, legends, etc. get put in a drafting view/

jbalding48677
2004-07-30, 05:38 AM
99% of the time, view.

The exception I make most often is our revision clouds and tags, we tend to put those on the sheets.

PeterJ
2004-07-30, 07:24 AM
Has to be view, otherwise if you are using worksets the view specific stuff becomes associated with the wrong workset....Aside from that for the reasons given above it is simply neater.

m_cahoon14336
2004-07-30, 10:59 AM
I have also found the view best for most of the reasons already mentioned above.

Andre Baros
2004-07-30, 01:54 PM
Back in the AutoCAD daze we used to put the notes in model space on small projects and paper space on large projects... as a matter of managing manpower. This let one person keep working on the drawings and someone else work on notes at the same time but also meant that on a small job you could be effencient. In Revit we've only done small projects so far but may soon be starting up a large team effort and getting into worksets. I assumed that we would follow the same model of having some people focus on sheet notes but it sounds like this is a bad idea, can you please explain more.

Thanks,

aaronrumple
2004-07-30, 02:02 PM
Na. This is Revit.
One person can note the drawing at the same time one works on the model. All done in the same view. (In fact two of us are doing that right now....)

Worksets, worksets, worksets....

SCShell
2004-07-30, 02:08 PM
Hi there,

99% views.

The only text or other annotations on the sheet view are for certain items which relate to the entire sheet, such as "Preliminary Drawing, not for construction" in the lower corner or notes relating to the actual "view title" and revision clouds. The other time I use annotations on a sheet view is when I import a JPG of a site location plan or TI location plan on my cover sheet which needs to be finished to show the project location. In addition, on cover sheets, my code review checklists are filled in on the sheet view since my cover sheets are a 'separate' title sheet family which has all of my forms on it already (blank).

One real pain regarding notes on a sheet view....if you move the plan for any reason, your notes need to be adjusted too.

Steve Shell

ejburrell67787
2004-07-30, 02:14 PM
The other point is that in AutoCad the model is scaleless and so conceptually All annotations should be in Paperspace - this includes notes and dimensions - as these relate directly to the scale of the view / the floating viewport and the size of paper you are printing on, Not the model. Also you may have various views of the same part of the model at different scales - so you need to have various layers for annotations at each scale to turn on/off in each view.

Revit on the otherhand has views at a useful scale so there is every reason to put annotations of any kind directly on the view that you see them in, not on the sheet, unless as someone pointed out, they are directly related to the sheet and not the view. Also there is no problem with annotations placed on one view turning up in other views where they aren't wanted!

:grin: Hurrah for Revit I say!! :grin:

Elrond