PDA

View Full Version : Use of Revit during construction phase

aprice56693
2007-06-29, 04:48 PM
We are nearing completion of construction documents for a 200,000 SF office building in downtown Kansas City. We have used Revit fully during the design phase for architectural, structural and MEP. We are working under a design-build contract.

The general contractor is onboard with the use of Revit and intends to keep developing the model to coordinate with sub-contractors & to incorporate a raft of additional information, changes etc as we proceed through construction. The intent being that the Revit model evolves through construction so it can be used for record drawings and beyond (building management, move management etc.)

The question is simple....should there be two Revit models during construction: a "design model" owned by the architect for recording design changes etc; and a "construction model" owned by the contractor for all the construction information they want to add that was not included in the design drawings. If so, how should these be coordinated?

or

Allow the general contractor to access the "design model" by hosting it on a project collaboration site.

I realize that this gets into a deep legal & contractual discussion, but I'd like to hear of others' experience.

aaronrumple
2007-06-29, 04:54 PM
This would be a good use of the copy/monitor feature. But I think you are looking at two separate models...

ron.sanpedro
2007-06-29, 05:07 PM
This would be a good use of the copy/monitor feature. But I think you are looking at two separate models...

The other reason for two models is you might want to strip out things like your sheets and title blocks (especially if you have scanned stamp in that title block!), as well as details, schedules etc. All this stuff is the architects intellectual property, and probably should not be out there in the semi-public domain, by stripping it you ensure that someone doesn't get a hold of the Revit file, change the address and title block and pull a permit, and you also do the contractor a favor by making the model they have to work with as light weight as possible.

It may also be worth the contractor looking into NavisWorks JetStream, which is very much a contractors BIM tool, and is now or soon to be an Autodesk product.

Best,
Gordon

lhood
2007-07-26, 04:19 PM
What contractor is capable of maintaining the integrity of a Revit model?

What contractor are you working with?

tonyisenhoff
2007-07-26, 05:36 PM
You would be surprised what some of the more savvy GC's can do...

I know one that has been modeling objects for virtual coordination for quite some time (years). Revit is just one of the apps they use.

jspartz
2007-07-26, 07:42 PM
They should have a separate model from the architects. Let's start from the beginning with compensation - if you want to get compensated that would have to be done from the very beginning in the contract for all printing costs to just hand the model over to them. Then who cares if they make sets from the file, they've already paid. If you didn't get compensated then and you are recording all reimbursables, then just hand over the model (strip out the drafting views, sections, interior and exterior elevations, area plans, legends, schedules and sheets), so they can't reproduce the sets. When being handed over either way, you should have them sign the E201 contract, which acts as an exhibit to the existing contract and covers you more than just a file disclaimer. Basically, as soon as you hand it over you are no longer responsible for keeping their copy up to date or anything that they change in their copy from the time of transmission is not your responsibility with the exhibit. The E201 gives them a license to use your intellectual property, so they cannot claim it as theirs. Likewise, the contractor owns the rights to the intellectual property that they add to the model from that point on.

jcdecastro
2007-07-26, 09:36 PM
Separate models and copy/monitor like Aaron suggested and remember to use the duplicate as dependant feature for your ASI sheets.

Rhythmick
2007-07-27, 06:43 PM
What contractor is capable of maintaining the integrity of a Revit model?Not sure what you are trying to convey!
I am a residential design/build contractor that is using Revit. I am currently in progress on a multi million dollar spec project that a more qualified architectural firm was in order. The firm we are using has gone to Revit and that factored into the architect selection as I want the model to do any field details as needed and perhaps update the model as built if anything should change, I use the model for material takeoffs and areas and will use it to check items such as truss dims, layouts and profiles. I stayed up on copies of the model during the design phase and was able to communicate issues that I saw as the builder that needed to be addressed with the architect. I receive a copy of the .rvt file and would not want to have access to their central file and can't imagine them feeling comfortable with that.
I create my own families and have no intentions to use any of their families beyond this project - not that they would even care, as I was thrilled to see one of my families I uploaded to Revit City in the model as well as create and supply another family during the design process. I was also able to pass along a tip or two on Revit.

Now...... Are you capable of maintaining the integrity of contracting and constructing the project! ;)