PDA

View Full Version : Wall-Floor Joins in 3D

skpark
2004-07-29, 10:08 PM
Walls and floors join nicely for me in sections, but I am missing the help file on how to clean up the joins in a 3d hidden line view?

Okay, and while I am here, a "best practice" question please: most walls want to default base constraint to a level, and floors want to default its top surface to a level. So when I leave the land of tutorials for the real world, is there any reason why it would be better to offset base constraint of walls vs. offset heights of floors? It would seem better to offset floors cause there are usually less of those than walls, but I am asking just in case I am missing something?

Thanky in advance.

Oh! One last thing -- As I graduate newbie school, I am the proud creator of a little palm tree family - got steered in the right direction from one Steve Shell of this very forum (thank you Steve!) -- it is not "wow" quality, but here you go for any other new Reviteers in the tropics.

beegee
2004-07-29, 10:34 PM
Are you referring to joining walls and floors using the Align tool on the face of each ? If so, that works in 3D as well as sections.

Re the offset question, I agree that its usually more efficient to offset the floors since there are a lot more walls in most projects and the walls are likely to go through more design changes.

Thanks for posting the palm. They are useful in these here parts.

;-)

skpark
2004-07-29, 11:18 PM
Nope not align, join geometry. Lets say I have a wall edge aligned with the edge of a floor stacked aligned on top of another wall edge (which would be the case if the walls were of diff construction -- see attached diagram) . Well in 3d hidden line, I'd like the surface to seem continuous. Thought "join geometry" would do the trick, after all that's kind of it's purpose in section, but it doesn't seem to.

christopher.zoog51272
2004-07-30, 02:21 AM
hmmm.... JG should have worked for you,

but remember, you build things in revit just like in the real world..... in reality, you probably wouldn't run across that condition much because the wall finish would come down to "cover" the floor. See the attatch slide from my real world tips and tricks class last year. The foundation, the floor, and exterior core are all aligned, and the sheathing/siding is "pulled" down.

hth,
Z

beegee
2004-07-30, 02:59 AM
If you created the stacked wall as one single wall, then spit it, changed the wall type for the top portion, then aligned the faces, it should not show a separation line if its finished with the same material. If you stacked two walls and aligned them you will need to use the invisible linework tool to remove the joint line.

skpark
2004-07-30, 12:15 PM
Thanks Beegee and Chris, nice and thorough feedback.

SCShell
2004-07-30, 02:38 PM
Hi there,

Just saw your post. Glad I could be of assistance and your welcome! Isn't this forum great!? I can't tell you how many times I see posts and say, "dang, I was just messing with that." (I am looking forward to seeing your file.)

Regarding the wall join issue.....???? I never know when that "join geometry" is going to work; however, I have found that it works great when you are using simple, generic walls during the first stages of design. Once you start using compound or built up wall, then it gets less forgiving.

Good Luck,
Steve Shell

Mr Spot
2004-08-01, 06:29 AM
To get rid of these slab lines i usually use the paint tool on the slab edge using the same material as the wall finish then join geometry and they're gone. Can be time consuming if they're a lot of edges and floors though...