PDA

View Full Version : Solid Railing for Curving Stair

kevin.phelps
2007-07-02, 10:03 PM
I am trying to make a solid railing similar to the British Museum except that I do not want the rail wall to continue down to the floor. It needs to be a curved rail wall that follows the rise and run of the stair. I have been able to create the rail that connects to the floor using a Parametric Sloping Wall Segment, but I cant get the bottom of it to follow the stringer of the stair. Does anybody know how to do this?

scott.latch
2007-07-02, 10:30 PM
Try the following Autodesk Technical Solution to create the wall:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=4043026&linkID=9243099

The solution is for the top of the wall, but it could be flipped to be used on the bottom as well.

Scott D Davis
2007-07-02, 11:40 PM
You are making it harder than it needs to be! Just make a Railing profile that is a rectangle the height and width your like the "wall" to be. It's going to be a railing in Revit. Make a new railing type in your project that contains no ballusters, adn only one "rail" which is really the shape of your wall. You should get something like the attached image:

kevin.phelps
2007-07-03, 03:00 PM
I was able to create the solid rail, but now when it hits the landing of the stair the two rails don't connect... Any advice on what is going wrong and how to fix this?

Scott D Davis
2007-07-04, 02:05 AM
is the stair drawn as one piece from the bottom to the top including the landing? Or did you make separate stairs: one up to the landing, and then one from the landing to the top?

kevin.phelps
2007-07-05, 04:05 PM
the stair is drawn as one solid stair including the landing and there is nothing unique about the way I drew the stair. I was able to create the solid railing on a monolithic stair, but now the bottom of the rail stays at a constant slope and doesnt jog down to hit the runners of the actual stair... any ideas of whats going wrong?

mephasm
2012-06-29, 11:51 AM
Try the following Autodesk Technical Solution to create the wall:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/item?siteID=123112&id=4043026&linkID=9243099

The solution is for the top of the wall, but it could be flipped to be used on the bottom as well.

Hi, sorry to revive an old thread, but I just didn't need to do a new one, the images here are perfect for me. Scott you gave a link at that time which is no longer available. Can anyone give a link for this Autodesk Technical Solution? I just want to make the wall as in http://forums.augi.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=43562&d=1183413728, like the 1st post here. I just want my wall's upper edges to fit to the railing height.

Thank you.

mthurnauer
2012-06-29, 02:38 PM
I don't know about the autodesk technical solution, but I can tell you that you can do it as a solid railing profile without the break at the landing and without switching to the monolithic stair. The issue with the break might be that if the railing line needs to be broken at the landing and define the landing portion as flat and the other portions as sloped. BUT, the break point between the sloped and flat portions should not align with the last tread of the upper run. You need to make the break point at the distance of one tread below the upper run. The way that I have done this is to draw a circle with the center at the nose of the bottom tread and pick the nose of the next tread to define the radius. I then use the break line tool and snap to where the circle intersects the railing line on the landing side. I then define the railing segments to flat and sloped. Sometimes I end up getting a message that the railing must be one continuous path. I don;t know why this happens, but the solution is to simply grab the node of the end of one segment, move it and re-snap it to the end of the other. If you use the trim tool to re-join the two segments, it will move the intersection from where you want it.

mephasm
2012-07-03, 06:03 AM
Hi, thanks for the answer. I can't completely understand your tip. In fact after some trial and error I can make walls by using solid stringers, and and adjusting their height.

The problem is I want the walls go to bottom floor. So the wall with sit on the floor, but the upper edge will align with the stair. And the stair and the wall will be curved (arc in fact).

mthurnauer
2012-07-03, 02:01 PM
Sorry, you made a previous comment that suggested you wanted it to be like what Scott Davis posted, except you had problems at the landing. I have encountered this problem before and the issue was that the solid railing changes from flat to sloped in-line with the bottom tread of the upper run. If you think about a pipe rail for a moment, the rail is required to continue to slope for one tread length beyond the bottom tread. My tip was to help explain how to break the railing line at a location one tread below the bottom. If you were doing a straight stair with an 11" deep tread, you could easily break the railing line at 11" beyond the bottom tread and then define the line along the stair to sloped and the line at the landing as flat. On a curved stair, the tread length may be some add number. An easy way to graphically derive what one tread length is is to draw a circle using the nose of one tread as the origin of the circle and snap to the next tread nose to define the radius. You then break the railing line where it intersects the circle at one tread length below the bottom tread.