PDA

View Full Version : New Revit Site - Tips and Tricks

justin.taylor
2007-07-03, 09:28 AM
Not sure if this will help anyone, but i recently launched a new Revit Site and have posted various articles and tips and tricks...take a look....feedback would be great.

www.revitup.co.za

Justin

Overconstrained
2007-07-03, 08:54 PM
Hi Justin,

Just had a quick look at your website. Looks pretty handy.....esp the HTML export tip. I didn't know that!!

Cheers,
Dean.

ws
2007-07-03, 09:25 PM
thanks Justin - that html tip is indeed excellent

but I learnt quite a few other things also

you explain things well, and I know how much effort setting these things up with diagrams and everything takes.

If you want feedback ;) :roll: I did not see the tabs at the top of the screen when I first looked at the front page and gave up... it was Dean's post that made me look harder.

Just a suggestion - I'd maybe make the links to such useful information more obvious.

cheers,

clog boy
2007-07-04, 06:39 AM
Just a suggestion - I'd maybe make the links to such useful information more obvious.

I agree. The head section of the page looks unfinished, and I'd put the tabs below the big pictures in the header. Everything else looks good - usability before visual fluff. But the head is in contrast.

The Revit user in me is filled with joy. You're beyond good intentions, and are actually putting effort into advanced BIMming. But the webdesigner in me beggs to differ with many things about the design and the code. (would you give me two days for a redesign?)
I'll make use of whatever I can.

justin.taylor
2007-07-04, 10:06 AM
Thanks for you feedback guys... appreciate all comments. it does take time to write and create sceen captures for sure, but I'm working on at least two tech tips per week hopefully so keep watching :o)

I have also just discovered a way of recording demo's into flash animations which I can upload... i have done one already for a complete Revit demo (under News and Articles), so i'm thinking I can use this to explain more complex technical solutions.... I can't host them though on my site through the site builder I use, but i have linked them to my company website... please take a look and let me know your thoughts...

justin.taylor
2007-07-04, 10:40 AM
Bram,

You comment sounds interesting to me...I'm ceertaiinly no web designer, I just used a basic on-line web tool called Zen.... My aim was to just get a site up and running and have the abliity to easily up-date it with stuff as and when i get the chance... what would you suggest as far as altering the design?

justin.taylor
2007-07-05, 06:44 AM
Hey guys....getting really great feedback so many thanks!!! I have had a quick play with the position of the link buttons at the top and moved them down so they are easier to see hopefully....I will try a couple of new layouts over the weekend.

clog boy
2007-07-05, 10:04 AM
Just noticed you updated the site. The header buttons are much more obvious now: they're the first thing you notice when you enter the site.

This draws direct attention to the head section, and from there down to the important stuff.
There are still other chunks of code I'd use to get the same result, but getting it done with a wizard still beats manual coding every day - like you'd want to be able to use a wizard for tedious jobs like Revit windows and such. Didn't get around doing a 'how it's done' page last night, my mom needed something done in MS word.

I'd like to thank you for a job well done, and are dying to see what other tips and tricks will appear on your website.

justin.taylor
2007-07-17, 06:11 AM
Hey Bram....

I have re-designed the main Revitup site with a new heading etc. do you think this looks better? trying to make the site look more professional.

jcdecastro
2007-07-18, 12:14 AM
Very nice site, straight foward and to the point.
I will tell everyone in the office about it.

I really like the HTML tip too.

ps consider putting a link to this site http://www.asgvis.com/ for voting for a Vray plugin for Revit, who knows if we vote and create enough buzz we might actually get it.

justin.taylor
2007-07-18, 10:00 AM
Hey many thanks for the feedback...

I have just uploaded 3 new tips:

Creating Vertical Composite Walls - 3 methods

http://www.revitup.co.za/_mgxroot/page_10826.html

Drawing Revisions

http://www.revitup.co.za/_mgxroot/page_10825.html

Printing Transparent Materials

http://www.revitup.co.za/_mgxroot/page_10824.html

Hope this might be able to help a few people.

Thinking about V Ray...I would just love Mental Ray in Revit...it's in AutoCAD so why not Revit!!!!!!

ws
2007-07-18, 10:39 AM
Terrific stuff Justin - many thanks.

That Revision explanation is just what I was looking for :)

The site looks very smart with the latest graphics.

justin.taylor
2007-07-18, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the feedback William....

I have so many ideas and things i want to write up, but it's jus a matter of getting time, gotta fit it around doing some work and earning a living...LOL

Justin

cadclips81126
2007-07-23, 09:08 PM
Excellent site Justin.

Easy navigation and valuable tips.

The kind of stuff that may not be clearly spelled out in any of the books.

I will be adding your link to my REVIT blog and website

www.revitrocks.com
www.CADclips.com

DG

Overconstrained
2007-07-23, 10:54 PM
Hi Justin,

Just a note on your revisions tutorial. It is possible to place and tag revision clouds in all views (not just sheet views as your tutorial states).

Cheers,
Dean.

justin.taylor
2007-07-24, 07:28 AM
Firstly thanks for all the great feedback people....really appreciate it.

Working hard on typing up some more new stuff in-between working lol

Yeah - the tags and revisions, is a good point thanks!!

Keep watching this site for more cool things...

Justin

mcilrath
2007-07-24, 08:11 PM
Justin -
Very great. Thank you.

VM