PDA

View Full Version : Linking Linked Files

ando_mn
2007-07-03, 02:53 PM
I have a 300k SF hospital project and we have broken the building up into two main files. One is the interior fit-out and the other is exterior core and shell elements. The problem I'm having is when linking each file into one another, the patient rooms (linked revit file) that we are duplicating in the interior fit-out model is not showing up in the exterior core and shell model.

My question is: What does one need to do in order to show a Linked file in a Linked file?

mabrey
2007-07-03, 03:55 PM
If you are using RAC 2008 then you have the option to link in as an attachment instead of overlay. You need to "attach" your patient rooms to your model so they come along when it is linked to another file.

-Jon

ando_mn
2007-07-09, 03:16 PM
Thank you for the reply! We are using REVIT-08. When we attach, does the linked room still stay linked or become part of the model?

Calvn_Swing
2007-07-09, 03:49 PM
It becomes a "nested link." This is one of those instances where the Revit HELP menu is actually quite sufficient to answer all your questions. If you go to the new features section in the index tab, you can find a part about linking files and the improvements therein. Look for more information on Nested links there. Lots of improvements over 9.1!

Good luck!

ando_mn
2007-07-09, 05:08 PM
Thank you, I will do so. I find myself coming to AUGI more so than relying on REVIT Help to answer questions.

Calvn_Swing
2007-07-09, 07:31 PM
As do I!

On the other hand, you'll get your responses from Revit help a lot quicker! I usually do a quick search to see what Revit Help has to offer, and then post to Augi if it isn't helpful enough, or is just flat out missing information. I have to say, the help in 2008 is much better than in the past. I was in no way trying to discourage you from coming here, just attempting to encourage you to take a look at the help files. (Where they do have information, it is usually a lot more clear than I can explain things anyway!)

Good luck!

dbaldacchino
2007-07-10, 04:20 AM
The same rules of thumb for xrefs in Acad pretty much apply in the new link functionality in Revit 2008: As a rule, overlay your links so they act as temporary references in the host file. If you want them to follow their host when this is linked somewhere else, then change the link to Attached.

Calvn_Swing
2007-07-10, 02:26 PM
Hey Autodesk,

Just as an FYI, it would be nifty if the nested links could be controlled a little more like normal links in the host file visibility graphics settings. We've had numerous issues on a project we converted from 9.1 to 2008. We originally had 5 files linked into the "master" file - 3 "building" files and two "structure" files for two of those three buildings (one was a remodel and thus, no structure file...). Well, upon upgrading we linked those structural files into their building files and had them nest into the "master" file with the "building" files. So, down to three links. Yay! However, we ran into numerous problems adjusting the VG settings of those nested links. It just didn't seem to make sense how it all worked together. Maybe someone can explain it to me, but we just couldn't get the same level of control over the nested links as we had with the normal ones. Eventually, we un-nested them and just plain ol' linked them into the Master file again to solve the problems.