PDA

View Full Version : Curved Monolithic Stair

kevin.phelps
2007-07-03, 09:52 PM
I created a curving stair that needs to be monolithic, but whenever I select monolithic stair it says that an error has happened. The actual risers and the desired number of risers also doesn't match up and it wont let me change it... any suggestions?

D_Driver
2007-07-03, 11:15 PM
could you create a new file with the same level elevations, copy and paste the stair into it I will take a look?

kevin.phelps
2007-07-03, 11:24 PM
Here is the rvt file

D_Driver
2007-07-04, 12:50 AM
the extra riser is the at the top of the stair. in the stair you sent, the typ 7" max etc. has type parameter "end with riser" checked. whereas monolithic stairs don't like this, so you have to edit your sketch and manuall add the extra riser.
While you just mention the number of risers, revit refused to make the stair entirely, so I made the following tweeks to the monolithic type parameters also:
minimum tread depth = 11"
tread thickness = 1/32"
nosing length =0
stinger carriage height = 2.5"
there is something in the sketch that the stair did not like so I just defaulted these values to the Concrete type stair that I COULD change your stair to.
change em back one at a time to find out which one is bad for you.

the attached file has 4 stairs with a bit of annotation:
1 ) your original stair of type 7" max etc...
2) the same stair of the concrety type
3) same stair with "monolithic type assigned", with the modifications noted above
4) the same stair, monolithic type, but added one riser to make up the "end with riser problem.

Somewhere on AUGI there is a stair cheat sheet pdf floating around. though dated is it still useful

kevin.phelps
2007-07-05, 06:23 PM
the attached file has 4 stairs with a bit of annotation:
1 ) your original stair of type 7" max etc...
2) the same stair of the concrety type
3) same stair with "monolithic type assigned", with the modifications noted above
4) the same stair, monolithic type, but added one riser to make up the "end with riser problem.

the 3rd stair that you used (monolithic concrete stair) worked, thanks for your help.

I have another question for you though... I am trying to get a solid railing to connect to the bottom of the mono-stair, but its staying at a consistent slope rather than jogging up and down with the rise and run of the stair... do you have any suggestions?

Scott D Davis
2007-07-05, 06:30 PM
In the railing properties, give the rail a negative offset so that it follows the bottom of the stringer rather than sitting on top of the nosing of the treads.

kevin.phelps
2007-07-05, 06:37 PM
In the railing properties, give the rail a negative offset so that it follows the bottom of the stringer rather than sitting on top of the nosing of the treads.

I did this and it just pulled the railing from side to side towards or away from the stair, not vertically which would solve the problem like you said... Do you know what would be causing this?

Scott D Davis
2007-07-05, 08:28 PM
I did this and it just pulled the railing from side to side towards or away from the stair, not vertically which would solve the problem like you said... Do you know what would be causing this?
dont use the Balluster offset. Click on Rail Structure, and then specify an offset for the rail. This will move the rail up and down. Balluster offset moves the ballusters from side to side.

kevin.phelps
2007-07-05, 08:58 PM
dont use the Balluster offset. Click on Rail Structure, and then specify an offset for the rail. This will move the rail up and down. Balluster offset moves the ballusters from side to side.

I did this and it is still moving the rail from side to side rather than vertically... I have attached a screen-shot of what happens with an exaggerated 10' offset to the rail, you can see it floating to the left of the stair. Do you know what is happening?