PDA

View Full Version : Typical Sections

Brandonp
2007-07-05, 02:19 PM
Our firm has about 2 years of Revit use under our belts, mostly on commercial work. We are now expanding Revit into our Residential Division. I am looking for ways to streamline and shave time off our production timelines.

One way is the creation of "standard wall sections" so we wouldn't have to reproduce the same wall section for project. We currently use ADT for our residential work and we currently have a file of wall section parts (foundation, floor, walls and roofs) with our standard notes, labels, etc. from which we can mix and match a combine together to create our wall sections for our residential projects.

In what ways could we achieve this in Revit, it gets so cumbersome having to create a section from scratch every time for a new project when we use the same section on mutliple projects. The problem that I see is if we create a "standard section" revit file, when we import/copy into a new project, the "template" model will come with it and not be in reference to our project model.

Thank you in advance for your comments and suggestions.

bgauthier
2007-07-05, 02:37 PM
What I would suggest is to create your section and then use the callout for specific details.

When creating the callouts, look at the toolbar and tick the "Reference other view". Now you can use your good old ADT details by importing them on your callout sheet.

Hope it helps

sbrown
2007-07-05, 02:45 PM
Create a detail project that contains your typical assemblies already modelled and noted, then you can link this in and bind it. then modify for your new project.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-07-05, 02:45 PM
You can do the same thing you are doing now using Revit's detail components. A kit of parts that you could use to build your wall sections in drafting views.

Brandonp
2007-07-05, 03:18 PM
You can do the same thing you are doing now using Revit's detail components. A kit of parts that you could use to build your wall sections in drafting views.

Would you suggest overlaying the "pre-built" sections of details components and overlay them onto our new project model? I just feel if we create our sections ctrictly 2D we are missing out on Revit's full potential.

twiceroadsfool
2007-07-05, 03:55 PM
Would you suggest overlaying the "pre-built" sections of details components and overlay them onto our new project model? I just feel if we create our sections ctrictly 2D we are missing out on Revit's full potential.

I take a blank project and copy and paste all of the 2D elements in to a wall section with no modeled geometry. Then i make it a detail group.

Then, when i have modeled the same or similar condition in another project, i copy and paste the Detail Group in to the current project. That way, if the condition occurs several times, it is grouped already. This also works to our advantage because if something is slightly different than in the last project, i only have to edit the detail goup once, to conform with the curent model...