PDA

View Full Version : I modeled with Masses, now what?

mmiles
2007-07-05, 08:48 PM
Hi all,

I am working on a sculptural facade element for a beach club project. It is intended to appear like a breaking wave, especially in profile. So, starting from conceptualization to our current DD, I used massing tools to generate a block which I ultimately carved, like a block of clay, all the large scale details and shapes. It's beautiful! I have even developed generic families that are inserted as mulled window units into the openings seen in the image attached. Everything behind this massing is made of standard building components (mainly) so I have no questions about their integrity (at this time). However, I have been asked to collaborate with a company who builds models (physical) using "your own 3D CAD files". The sales rep tells me that a 3d model is likely to be unusable - something about how my vision of how it goes together isn't accurate enough- so sending elevations, sections and plans is the preferred method. (NOTE: not sure what to think about my 3d model not accurately working, or the thought that it may not be a good base to start with, but that is beside the point).

ISSUE:
WhenI export as DXF the massing in the front exports as a wireframe, thusly showing everything behind it. Therefore, my front elevation is basically useless unless I spend time to erase or turn-off all the extra info. Is there a solution other than this? (please note there are some objects in the background that I do want visible).

Secondly, when it comes to selecting faces to convert to walls...I am still spending time determining how this will really be built, so simply turning into "walls" doesn't seem adequate. A close look at the image will reveal a multi-faceted massing, so the walls I create end up overlapping all over the place. Does anyone have any recommendation on how to proceed toward the CD phase with this one?

T.I.A

Teresa.Martin
2007-07-06, 12:36 AM
Hi!
In terms of how to proceed, I would approach it like you would begin to build it. This is definitely a design in section type of problem, not a design in plan type of issue. I would approach it with that in mind. Looking at your form, a few different building types come to mind ..Cast in place, light metal framing with wire form and stucco among others. Of course you could go the other way on this and use some type of tensile structure (Frei Otto type of thing).
I would definitely keep designing until you know how you are going to construct it. Structure can inform your design and allow for some additional options and ideas.

Sorry I could not be of more help, but I do not want to put a damper on your design process.
Best regards,

mmiles
2007-07-06, 01:55 PM
yes, I agree about the process. I have already had conversations about it with our structural engineer. I think a cast-in-place scenario will be utilized. My question though is a little more about the program. I have used massing tools to create what you see in the image. It appears that my only options are to keep it as a mass- to use a guideline for the creation of an inplace family of some kind- or to select faces for conversion to standard object types. I was hoping there was a better option- say, change the massing properties to something else, like a wall family, or a generic family.

At this point, I have input a certain degree of detailing within the massing that I would like to maintain it without having to rebuild everything. Perhaps I used the wrong tools once it moved beyond the concept stage? Any other thoughts?

Also, the reason this post was created is because I need to export the model for a consultant, but the massing does not export as a solid in my elevation views or sections. I am trying to minimize how much work I need to perform to get the drawings "out the door".

thanks.

Teresa.Martin
2007-07-06, 04:35 PM
Hi!
Yes, you are correct, using Mass objects passed SD can be cumbersome because you cannot easily convert the mass object to anything else. I often use the Generic Model family option for this reason. It give you more leeway to convert it later if you need too.
In regards to export you have two options, ACIS Solid or Polyface Mesh. Have you tried both options for sharing this with a consultant?
Best regards,

mmiles
2007-07-06, 05:11 PM
Thanks Teresa,

I am discovering the possibilities and limitations of the massing family. I so enjoyed the sculpting aspect of the program and transparent qualities (initially) of the masses. I got caught up then in massaging the mass during our design sessions that I didn't consider the what-next.

I have exported as an SAT file, and asked if that would be acceptable to the consultant. It seems like an ideal file type, really. I am still waiting for a reply.