PDA

View Full Version : VPN - Virtual Private Networking

richard.binning
2004-07-30, 04:33 PM
How many of you have VPN access? Are you providing VPN access to your employees/associates?

Thanks,

Ferroequine
2004-08-03, 03:53 PM
I provide access to only a few senior level, key users at this point, both from a cost issue as well as a security standpoint. It sure is handy on the weekends though, when users forget their passwords and you don't have to travel to the office to fix 'em...:grin:

BrenBren
2004-08-03, 04:27 PM
There have been so many times when I haven't had a babysitter, or the kids are sick, or something like that when it would be great to be able to stay home and work from there, but it is impossible to do here because only the people "management" deems important have access. So I end up burning a vacation day AND falling behind on my project. sigh..

Needless to say, I vote a big resounding YES!!!! :)

arcadia_x27
2004-08-03, 04:57 PM
Only Management and mobile users have access here. most of the CAd operators have a computer at home they can work on. Or live close enough to the office that they can come here and work if they want to but It would be a big plus if more of us had access to the VPN. (not to mention a laptop)

RobertB
2004-08-03, 05:42 PM
Our branch office is connected via site-to-site VPN, and I have a VPN concentrator for user sessions (not that those happen often). Performance is the biggest issue, of course.

richard.binning
2004-08-03, 05:55 PM
Here is what I want to do, provide secure access to network files for various purposes. Users won't be working across the "Inter-WAN" just copying and replacing. It also works nicely to enable license borrowing when you forget or neglect to do it while still at the office.

Steve_Stafford
2004-08-03, 10:38 PM
VPN access is very helpful for the reasons you list. I have and had VPN access at my previous employer as well. It came in handy many times to fix something remotely, do some work at home and upload it to the office, doing research at home and needing that one file I forgot...

I didn't vote in your poll because none of you your options rang true for me... I don't think it is a MUST in this day and age and I don't think everyone needs access but those who administrate the systems or manage the company can definitely benefit and justify the cost to provide it. Secondarily, it can offer a company options when staff issues prove challenging, flex time, telecommuting and the like.

johnm.72642
2004-08-06, 05:25 PM
We do have the capability now, but don't utilize it for our CAD users at this time. It is being used for some administrative purposes, and we are reviewing the possibilities of setting it up for people who need extended leave for whatever reason. A large issue for us out here is the speed. I do have it at the house, but only recently was DSL available in our area. It was a killer over dial-up. I didn't vote because none really hit on it, but I do believe it is a good, valid option that could use to be implemented on a case by case basis.

jpaulsen
2004-08-09, 05:50 PM
My company provides VPN access to a select few employees. They include corporate employees (4), upper management, IT and myself.

I have a cable modem at home but the speed of the VPN is still very slow. It is difficult to work on drawings directly from the network and impossible to work on Land Desktop databases due to the slow speed.

Your idea of copying files would fix the speed problem, once the files are on the local drive. But how would you prevent multiple people from working on the same file simultaneously?

I do like the idea of license borrowing. Come to think of it, the license on my laptop is probably expired by now. I'll have to try that.

I voted no because I do not believe ALL employees should have access. Access should be limited to certain individuals who will beneift most from it, like IT.

richard.binning
2004-08-09, 06:06 PM
Well hello me leetle Droogie....(nice profile pic!)

Actually you might be interested in using RDS via VPN. this would enable your users to log in to their company desktop PC and drive it from home. Although it has a little bit of a lag in response, it is completely workable and this alleviates some of the speed issues you are describing, because you are simply driving the company PC from home. It is almost like you are at work pushing the buttons. Although, you won't have access to your drink holder (cd-rom).