PDA

View Full Version : Existing and New Construction Views (Room Numbers)

tim.ervin
2007-07-06, 03:09 PM
I'm having troube showing new and existing construction and then labeling new and existing rooms in those views. I'm working on a project where there is a new building attaching to 2 existing buildings via pedestrian bridges. Where these new bridges attach to the existing buildings... I've set my view up to be "New Construction" and the new walls show up solid and the existing grayed out but the problem is I need to add existing room names and number to my existing building model. As far as I know, you can't do this unless the view is set to "Existing" and mine has to be set to "New Construction" so you can see the bridges. Some of the room numbers overlap... i.e. I have a room 1814 in my new building and a room 1814 in the existing building I'm attaching to, so I can't filter it out of the room finish schedule by room number. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

dgreen.49364
2007-07-06, 10:36 PM
Not sure if this completely addresses your situation...everything is phase specific with Revit. Existing rooms can have room names and numbers but those names and numbers will not be there for new construction. Schedules are also phase specific. You can create schedules for existing and new construction if you so choose.

Here is what we do in my office. We create the existing. We don't bother creating rooms in this phase. We simply label the rooms with text rather than a tag. All doors/windows get tagged with an X--- to filter them out the schedules.

We go to new construction. Here is where we create our rooms and tag them. Not sure if this is what you're talking about, but we don't have issues with schedules and room names and numbers when we do it this way. I try to look at new construction as "current" and anything before (existing) is not a part of.

tim.ervin
2007-07-11, 06:42 PM
Yeah, I think that helps. Basically what you're saying is the "existing construction" isn't smart. It won't change or schedule or anything... it's just a "dumb tag?"

patricks
2007-07-11, 07:00 PM
Only time I see that method as problematic is when you're changing or replacing finishes in existing rooms and need to schedule those. In that case, I would probably just make separate finish schedules for existing and for New Construction.