PDA

View Full Version : Corrugated metal wall panel

Baez
2007-06-28, 09:29 PM
My company manufactures habitats and shelters for offshore oil platforms. The walls are structural components and are what we call crimp plate, often 1/4" thick 4" deep and with an 18" pitch. We want to have them in true 3D so they can be part of the structural analysis. I can model them with sweep or extrude but they cant be modified and this is more tedious than in AutoCad 3D. We just acquired Revit but if we can't solve this problem it will render it nearly useless to us.

Baez
2007-06-29, 04:55 PM
Here is a small building and a view of the crimp plate.

Baez
2007-06-29, 05:01 PM
Sorry I posted the wrong file

Baez
2007-07-05, 02:51 PM
I have gotten into this a bit deeper and have received a lot of help here and at Revit City. My main reason for posting was to get some good quality advice from people who know this program (Revit) so I didn't go too far down a blind alley. The conclusion I have drawn is to forget any kind of real 3D model of our crimp plate and use and work within the current features of the program (like the initial replies to this post said). The plan for us now is to use a proxy object wall with an overlay that looks like our material so we can make our presentations quickly and the Architectural and mechanical people can do their thing.

Our hope in the beginning was to create a generic parametric building. We build a lot of buildings which are basically the same except for overall dimensions, placement of doors and windows etc. The structural people (like me) will have to do the workaround and try to draw generic details and custom details where needed. So I think this can still be done albeit with some difficulty.

I can't say I am happy about this however. I am hoping for one thing. This program will never change if people just work around the problems and limitations. I hope everyone will keep the pressure on Autodesk to add the features we all want. For me it has to be some better 3D modeling and better compatibility with other 3D programs at least ASIC solids which can be modified and not just blocks or, better yet, some feature for creating custom parametric solids.

Thanks for the help. Sometimes a negative response the biggest time saver.

david_peterson
2007-07-06, 04:23 PM
Alan,

Please note that I've moved this thread to a Revit forum as I feel it's a better place.