PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Columns with In-Place Void

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-07-06, 08:37 PM
Am I missing something or is it not possible to create an in-place void famiy to cut a column?
Place a column, create an in place void sweep, use cut geometry and cut the profile out of the column. You can't select the column. :?

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-07-10, 12:05 AM
Just a bump to see if anyone has an answer for me. :beer:

dbaldacchino
2007-07-10, 03:44 AM
Hey Dimitri, unfortunately the answer is no :(

The same applies to Structural Framing and probably other families. I tried using that technique for "demo" (creating voids in New Construction to demo parts of Existing structure) but it wouldn't work. In my case I drew a detail line where I wanted the cut, split the element and trimmed each end to that line, then used the demo tool. Not sure if you're needing voids for the same reason in your application. It would surely be a good feature to have.

Overconstrained
2007-07-10, 04:38 AM
In RA2008 you can cut structural elements using "opening by face". Works a treat for cutting columns, beams etc.

Not sure how it works (if at all) with phasing though??

Dean.

EDIT: I can't get it to work with phasing....but it looks like it SHOULD work??

dbaldacchino
2007-07-10, 04:57 AM
Good point, unfortunately the opening phase is read-only and becomes the same as the element it cuts. So it cannot be used for "demo" operations.

Dimitri Harvalias
2007-07-10, 06:44 AM
Thanks guys. That's what I figured.
I could have sworn I did it on previous job but I checked back and it turns out the columns were actually created as short lengths of wall.
It can be done with an in place family with the reveal sweep as an integral part of the same family. Not exactly the most efficient method.

Elmo
2007-07-10, 06:54 AM
You could just do the void inside the family. This would do exactly what you want and whats more you know your reveal can be placed at exactly the right place wherever you want.