PDA

View Full Version : Advice - in the middle of updating standards

zfoland20
2004-07-30, 06:37 PM
I'm seeking some advice. I have recently changed jobs to a place that is in the middle of updating standards. The problem is there are people that have been here for years that want to go back to the "old way." Then there are people that have come over the last couple of years. And then there is a few of us that have come in over the last 6 months. I'm not in a direct management position so I basically have to buddy up with the people that I feel are trying to move in the right direction. Our upper management is stuck on the philosophy of making sure that we have a majority supporting any decisions to change (what they like to call 80-20 rule). I'm coming from a place that seemingly had it down when it came to standards, and I'm trying to bring some of that in. If you could...just let me know what your thoughts are on this situation.

Thanks in advance.

mjfarrell
2004-07-30, 07:00 PM
This sounds like an interesting (sticky) situation.
I think that both camps would be well served to
acquire some fresh insight into AutoCAD.
I'm thinking the old way individuals have missed out
on the current state of the software. Also, if the
class (overview) materials are constructed by, looking
at the process (directory stucture, file naming, block naming)
the new way folks might see where the old way came from.
The challenge here is to continue working towards the same goal
and produce credible designs and buildable plans.

Perhaps someone there could flow-chart the work flow, or otherwise
compare the benefits of either system. Is it easy to contast in this manner?

Mike.Perry
2004-07-30, 07:40 PM
Hi

Do you receive Robert Green's CAD Management E-mail Newsletter?

If no, you might want to sign-up + review some previous issues; contains some good pointers when it comes to dealing with people -

CAD Management - CADalyst (http://www.cadalyst.com/cadalyst/static/staticHtml.jsp?id=80623)

Have a good one, Mike

johnm.72642
2004-08-06, 05:35 PM
Man, there really is no easy way to tackle this. I have been saddled with the job of updating the standards, and have been as long as just about everyone but management. It's still not easy. I would suggest a lot of patience, and a lot of notes. Get a good feel for what the different groups want and why. Which ones have good ideas, which are bad. How does it compare with what you think/know. Can any of the different ideas be combined? Chances are good that whatever route is picked by management the first time is going to experience some pitfalls somewhere and that issue will need to be re-visited. That could be a good time for you step in carefully. Present your idea and thoughts for a solution or better process to the items in question. But always be sure you can document your beliefs. Don't go in and just say I think we can because it makes sense. If you can show it on paper, you are way ahead, especially if that paper has $ signs on it somewhere. A couple of good ideas will get you well in the door. You may also want to wait a bit until the initial uproar dies down. Once people start to run out of ideas or ideas don't work, you can come in with yours and most likely be listened to more willingly. In my experience, especially if you are a newer guy up against older guys, patience and diplomacy are all that will help in the end. Good luck.

Coolmo
2004-08-06, 07:18 PM
We have a CAD standards committee that meets every so often made up of 1 person per group or department. They set the standards based on group input and suggestions from their team. Once a new standard is voted on by the committee, it'll be integrated. We also have "CAD police" that anyone from the company can go to and report anything that doesn't adhere to the CAD standards. once a report has been made, the CAD operator responsible has to fix the problem before anything else gets done........ or else! :smile:

johnm.72642
2004-08-06, 09:42 PM
zfoland,

williams' comment really is a good idea. You might bring something like up. Just be careful. We have a similar setup here. I seem to end up being the only one to police and try to enforce everything. I just keep believing it's worth it in the end. I also DOCUMENT EVERYTHING. Regardless of your position now, that's a good thought. It can never hurt, and may get you right where you need to be with a little time. Especially if that shows management later that you have been concerned with this the whole time and trying to keep up with things.

qadonohue
2004-08-08, 02:30 PM
I don't think that a standard is derived from a majority vote. There are standards that are defined by the National Institute of Building Sciences, http://www.nibs.org/ficcomm.html. Maybe you could suggest to your upper management that they adopt the National Standard instead. Just a suggestion.

Coolmo
2004-08-09, 01:08 PM
I don't think that a standard is derived from a majority vote. There are standards that are defined by the National Institute of Building Sciences, http://www.nibs.org/ficcomm.html. Maybe you could suggest to your upper management that they adopt the National Standard instead. Just a suggestion.

Preset standards would be great in an ideal world where nothing changes but they can't possibly cover every little situation a company faces when setting up drawings. New equipment or practices may require new layers or symbols and if they are not available in the National standards you have to come up with your own. That being the case, now you have some standards following the national standards and some following your standards. Something like that seems to be right along the lines of people doing whatever they want in their drawings. This in mind, setting up your own standards and letting them be somewhat of a work in progress to allow for new products, situations, and practices seems to be the way to go. Obviously just my opinion though...

CADTigress
2004-08-09, 03:55 PM
Hello.. I would like some advice please. I have been working as a CAD Designer for 1year and 5mo- going on 6mo. I work for 11 pms and get paid squat. I replaced 2 designers, one that had 20 yrs experience~ who by the way only lasted here for 3 yrs~

I would like to know why do I keep getting the run around for jobs from management that do not think I have enough qualifications. Doesnt' the above mean anything? I have been here a long time, getting paid not my worth. I have overcame and accomplished and have done everything in a project alone. Tenant Finish, New Projects, Design/Build , & As-Builts.

What does it take to impress? I have been here a long time working strictly alone, made all deadlines and organized all projects of all the pms. And I didn't even see my boss the first 8 months. So I can work on my own and be dependable to get the job done.

Please tell me what does it take? If I was here for 10 yrs I would still have knowledge of what I have now. Just more engraved in my head. I have taken extra classes asked tons of questions and visited job sites to see what exactly I was drawing.

Any input would be welcomed! Thanks in advance.

mjfarrell
2004-08-09, 04:17 PM
It might appear that you should document what it is that you do
for this company. Patience is a good trait at times like these,
document what you do so that when and IF they do your review
it is easy to defend your position. Keep in mind, that proven
performance is never a guarantee of increased salary.
This firm may have some 'set' pay schedule that will never allow you
to make the same monies as someone that has more time with
the company.
You might find that you are being shorted based on the industry and
regional averages, if this proves true, then prepare to leave.
It may be that they value their employees, only as lip service,
and that you have no more value to them than a stapler.
Also a good dialog with your manager, supervisor to discover
what you need to do to get a raise, more years experience,
technical registration?
Update your resume', and shop your skills on the open market.
In reflecting for this, I have had better luck getting a raise by
either having another job offer already, or by taking that new
job. A note on that, ensure at time of hire that there will be an
initial performance review, and when and how performance reviews are
conducted.

CADTigress
2004-08-09, 04:34 PM
It might appear that you should document what it is that you do
for this company. Patience is a good trait at times like these,
document what you do so that when and IF they do your review
it is easy to defend your position. Keep in mind, that proven
performance is never a guarantee of increased salary.
This firm may have some 'set' pay schedule that will never allow you
to make the same monies as someone that has more time with
the company.
You might find that you are being shorted based on the industry and
regional averages, if this proves true, then prepare to leave.
It may be that they value their employees, only as lip service,
and that you have no more value to them than a stapler.
Also a good dialog with your manager, supervisor to discover
what you need to do to get a raise, more years experience,
technical registration?
Update your resume', and shop your skills on the open market.
In reflecting for this, I have had better luck getting a raise by
either having another job offer already, or by taking that new
job. A note on that, ensure at time of hire that there will be an
initial performance review, and when and how performance reviews are
conducted.

Thanks. Well I have shown a lot of patience really. This company I don't want to be at, yes I am valued I often thought of like a picture on the wall. And valued very little, because it really is lip service. They play up on heppin you up, and then stab you in the back for reviews. I worked very hard the first year I was here, review time. Well a pm and a project assistant that I don't get along with had someone call and complain about me, and the Prez. is best buds with both of these 2 people. Hmmm..
When I asked what Co. complained ~ because I never had it out with anyone, still hadn't~
He would not tell me who, what, when.. Just left me hanging and hung me to dry..
This place is a place where if you are not related and are not a "favorite" - your out. The HR dude is the Pres. brother-in-law, the Prez's assistant is his mother in law...... It goes on..... ~ Very small co.~ Who values its pms and pmas only.. They get all the credit.
My boss here. LOL he is spineless. He says one thing then goes behind my back to try to blame me for everything. He never has helped me, he had a knife in my back with the Pres. in my review. He never once defended me, because the girl pma, was his pma. So he had his fav. from the beginning.
It just boils my blood , because they have only had 5 total Cad people here (with me that is 6), all of them lasted 1-3yrs---All Fired! Me getting ready to Quit. Besides all the whispering and closed doors around here.

What I wanted to know is for a diff. job? I have been searching and been on 2 interviews. Lots of bites, I have made an list detailing everything, brought portfolio. But nothing yet? Do they want my blood? I am damn good.. I don't just sit there , I do something about what I complain about. I just want them to give me a chance.

I like what you said here -- Great Idea !"A note on that, ensure at time of hire that there will be an initial performance review, and when and how performance reviews are
conducted"

I need a new CAD Life!!!! Preferably Arch.

Coolmo
2004-08-09, 05:22 PM
WOW! we really got off the original subject huh?

CADTigress
2004-08-09, 06:16 PM
WOW! we really got off the original subject huh?

Sorry . I guess it is too pent up.. I will keep it to myself next time.

Let me guess? TMI for you .