PDA

View Full Version : Rooms and Linked Files

mmenendez
2007-07-09, 06:05 PM
I am working on a hospital and have created a linked patient room. I have then just copied that linked file. I want to place room tags in each patient room but get a warning: " room is not in a properly enclosed region".

I know I can place a room tag in the patient room revit file and have it show up in my main file. I would like to be able to change the name of the room and number.

Is there a way to change the room tags?

Thanks in advance!

Scott D Davis
2007-07-09, 06:50 PM
You should either insert that single RVT patient room as a group, instead of a Link, or Bind the Link into your file, turning it into a Group. Groups are the proper method for creating multi-unit plans such as a hospital with repeating patient rooms. Links are generally for linking one entire building into another file.

mmenendez
2007-07-09, 06:56 PM
Thanks Scott for the reply!

AP23
2008-01-28, 10:33 PM
You should either insert that single RVT patient room as a group, instead of a Link, or Bind the Link into your file, turning it into a Group. Groups are the proper method for creating multi-unit plans such as a hospital with repeating patient rooms. Links are generally for linking one entire building into another file.

I'm in a similar situation, where I linked the interior layout file into 4 separate apartment block files. Each apartment block is further down linked into a single site plan file. If changes are made in the interior file, all 4 apartment blocks will be automatically updated. However, this means i would need to create room separation lines in the apartment block files in order to get the rooms to work. Is there an easier way to do this?

tmomeyer
2008-01-29, 02:09 PM
... Groups are the proper method for creating multi-unit plans such as a hospital with repeating patient rooms. Links are generally for linking one entire building into another file.

Scott,

I've heard some say to develop multiple room types as separate "rvt" files and link them back into the model for performance reasons. Has this come up before? If you say that "links are for linking entire building" isn't it possible that the users may want more flexibility to assemble a project through linked models?

Related question. Can I start a Revit file for code purposes and link in the model and be able to develop the code data that I need separately from the main model? Things I'm looking for are gross areas (inside face of exterior walls), use group areas as a sum of each separate use group room or area, where the code areas are locked to the walls that are in the other model?

Thanks,

Tom

StratCat
2014-05-15, 06:18 PM
I have to disagree. There is no "rule" about only linking buildings and not units. There is no PROPER way.
We often link units. It's far easier than Groups which blow up if you try to move them to another level. Not to mention the fact that windows don't work well in groups (among other things). There is an entire thread about the pros and cons of each method.