PDA

View Full Version : Hatching Walls Under

paul.osmond
2007-07-11, 02:16 AM
It seems there is no easy way to depict hatching of structural elements above and below other than a filled region. This becomes pretty impractical if elemants are always changing and there are 300+ columns or walls!!! . It is a fundamental part of most structural consultants to show walls under hatched one way and walls over hatched another even though both elements above and below are the same type ( eg. basic wall- 200 thick).

Can we please have a way to do this!?!

lcamara
2007-08-24, 06:41 PM
...It is a fundamental part of most structural consultants to show walls under hatched one way and walls over hatched another...

I wouldn't go that far. My previous company hatched CMU walls below with a hidden linetype, and if I remember correctly we used different shades of gray for concrete, but at my current company we don't hatch walls below, an I don't recall seeing any others that do. That said, I'm always for more options that let YOU decide how it should look.

BTW, you should include more options in your poll.

jsr13
2007-09-27, 01:23 AM
We look at it this way: In AutoCAD, we hatch walls below because they will exist while constructing the level you are viewing (i.e., 3rd floor walls will exist while you are constructing the 4th floor framing) but bearing walls above are shown as phantom linetype that is 60% screened and no hatching.

As far as Revit goes, give us the flexibility to decide how and happy we'll be.

lcamara
2007-09-27, 02:09 AM
That makes sense, although I've never seen it that way.

BTW, how do you show openings (windows & doors) in the walls below? Are they hatched as well?

I'm not sure how they'd go about implementing this idea in Revit - as it is, it's hard enough to get the plan to look the way we show ours, which is walls above hatched, window & door openings not. To get the openings to show, I have to figure out what height to put the cut plane so that it will go through all (or most) of the openings, and use Plan Regions for the openings that are missed.

Of course, that requires knowing where they all are, and hoping nothing changes significantly, both of which (to me) contribute to Revit loosing a little of it's "Revit-ness". It would be nice to simply say "show all openings in walls between this level and the (specified) level above like they're cut" or something similar, and corresponding options for walls below.

That would require Revit to be a little more inteligent than it is, which would contradict the mantra I keep hearing from Autodesk employees that Revit's "smart" but not "inteligent". It is, after all, 3D - which is more complex than plan views that are just "above" or "below" each other (although we still think in those terms).

jsr13
2007-09-27, 02:21 AM
I've only ever seen it that way a couple of places, but I take it with me everywhere because I think it makes the most sense. I dunno - there's definitely no mistaking 'above' & 'below.'

Revit may not be that intelligent, but it still "knows" that there are wall openings below. Autodesk knows that we need to show those openings (no matter what height the opening stops), so why can't they come up with an option to "Show All Wall Openings Fom Floor Below" and we at least get the linework for the rough openings t show on plan?
They did consult with real, live, practicing structural engineers. Didn't they?

paul.osmond
2007-10-03, 06:59 AM
Thank you for reading my post.

As a standard with all major engineering consultants in Australia the load bearing element under the floor you are modelling is shown hatched (with hidden line) with the walls above are a solid line with either no hatch or a different hatch depicting certain wall types like blockwork etc.......door and window headers are shown depending on wall element. (usually header beam so shown not hatched (not loadbearing but hidden because its under)
There is a workaround for me but really only works if my slab soffit is flat which in most cases is not!

Messy workaround example:
I have set up 2 view templates for under and presentation with the working set showing both.

Technically your Under group is also a presentation drawing so everything is turned off besides load bearing elements and the view range changed to ignor everything under 0

the presentation set is technically everything over with the addition of stairs, sections, grids etc.....
except the view range is set also to 0
Also note that the order of insert to sheet is important!
everything must be wireframe and inserted from under to over!

be sure to save the view templates (settings----> view templates). you can apply this template to all plan types.