PDA

View Full Version : Wall Width in Door Schedule

Doug
2007-07-12, 01:43 PM
Hi
Does anyone know how to have the wall width (Thickness) report in another Schedule? The width (thickness) is available in the Room Finish Schedule as a Field, and it shows on on the Wall Edit Assembly as Total Thickness.

How would I get this to show up on another schedule.

Calvn_Swing
2007-07-12, 02:58 PM
Doug,

I'm not going to say I know this for a fact because I've never tried to get a wall thickness to report in anything but a wall schedule. However, I think what you're asking for is impossible. The wall thickness is one of those mysterious Revit parameters that Autodesk likes to hide from us mere users. We can't be trusted with control over it because we might screw the whole program up. (or something like that). Typically, these "system" parameters can only be accessed in places Autodesk has foreseen that you need to access them. This is not one of those places I think. If it were, you could create a new schedule, select door schedule, and then you'd find "wall" in the drop down list along with "door" and "to room, from room" options. But, it isn't present.

Options?

There aren't any good ones I can think of. Since there is no such thing as a query parameter you can't dimension something with the intent of asking it what its value is. You can only dimension something and give it a parameter to control the value directly. So, you can't dimension the wall thickness in the family and use that parameter to tell you the wall thickness in the door family. Nor can you dimension the frame width and query that (if you had both sides of the frame locked to the wall somehow so it changed size with the wall, querying the frame would be the same as querying the wall.) It just can't be done currently. I'd love to have the wall tag display in the door schedule (so you could quickly see what walls are rated, and what the size is!), but that's out too. And I have tried that.

So, send a message to Autodesk support requesting system and shared wall parameters to become available in door schedules. I'll second it. Can we get a third?

josh.made4worship
2008-09-29, 07:49 PM
You could calculate it in the schedule. Revit can report the length of a wall, and the volume and height, so then take the Volume / L*H and you should get what you want.

patricks
2008-09-29, 08:03 PM
You could calculate it in the schedule. Revit can report the length of a wall, and the volume and height, so then take the Volume / L*H and you should get what you want.

That would not work for reporting wall thickness in a door schedule... or anywhere else really, since the volume reported for walls is actual volume, taking into account openings for doors, windows, or any other insert that cuts the wall.

I just don't think wall thickness is possible for a door schedule, at least not as an automatic field. A wall schedule can schedule wall thickness, but doors themselves have no actual relationship to walls.

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-09-30, 12:40 AM
This was demonstrated at AU last year in one of the API sessions.
The example was for just this case; trying to automatically obtain the host wall thickness so it could be scheduled for door frames.
I believe we were promised the code would be made available but I don't ever recall seeing it posted anywhere. So, the information is in the database somewhere it's just a matter of knowing where and how to program to extract it through the API.

tomnewsom
2008-10-01, 01:16 PM
A slightly related point:

Oh! For the ability to create a wall family with thickness as an Instance Parameter!

My current project (extensive refurb and recon) has wall Types: Extg Wall 50, Extg Wall 55, Extg Wall 60 in increments of 5 all the way up to 1000 (with a few gaps). I've found this to be the best way of modelling varied extg conditions without slowing the model down. But being able to grab a handle on one side of a wall and drag its thickness around would be an absolute godsend.

thredge
2008-10-03, 04:56 PM
Dimitri, why do you tease me so?

So what you are saying is that if someone made some kind of plugin app for revit we could maybe get this functionality?

Dimitri Harvalias
2008-10-04, 03:34 AM
That's what I'm saying.
The presenters were Emile Kfouri and Miroslav Schonauer. The session was AB204-2 at AU 2007. Emile was very informative but Miro was great. His enthusiasm was really infectious and you could tell he just loved what he was doing.

As I mentioned, it was suggested at the time that the stuff Miro demonstrated would be uploaded to the same location as the API user guide that had just been released that year.

I'll follow up with an e-mail or two to see if anything else has been done along these lines.
In the meantime, here is the slide deck from his presentation (available from the AU website)

pfaudler
2009-02-24, 10:31 AM
Has anyone got hold of that AU API or any solution to get wall thickness in door or window schedules?

Thanks in anticipation.

Scott Womack
2009-02-24, 11:21 AM
It is still not possible in the Revit 2009 product. We'll have to wait and see if it is made available in the 2010 product when it is releases in 2 months or so.

Brandon_Pike
2009-12-02, 08:41 PM
Anybody find any solutions for this in the 2010 release?

stuntmonkee
2009-12-02, 10:15 PM

Where can you get a schedule to show the wall height?

Brandon_Pike
2009-12-03, 06:48 PM
The wall length is aonly available in a wall schedule or a quantity take off - not in a door schedule. : (

arqt49
2010-02-15, 02:51 PM
I just posted an example solution video fot this issue in youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_U_qwJQgYI0
Please forgive my bad english.

STHRevit
2010-02-16, 06:05 AM
And once again we have to use an external software solution to achieve a relatively simple task. It is issues like this that really let Revit down.

rebeccamcwilliams
2010-08-04, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately the youtube video cuts out about a minute into the demo!

I would love to see the rest of the video for your solution, as we are experiencing the same challenge with wall width and door frames.

cliff collins
2010-08-04, 09:30 PM
In RAC 2011, you can use a "reporting parameter" to show the wall width in a schedule.

check here:

http://docs.autodesk.com/REVIT/2011/ENU/filesUsersGuide/WS73099cc142f48755-191a86ac126720fa3543f37.htm

cheers

Alfredo Medina
2010-08-04, 09:30 PM
To report the wall width in a door schedule, you need to add a dimension between the faces of the wall in the door family. (You need to do that in all the door families). In the family, that dimension will be converted into a shared-instance-reporting parameter, such as "WallWidth". In the project, create a project parameter, based on that WallWidth shared parameter; make it an instance, applying to 'Doors'. Then, in the door schedule, include that parameter as a field.